Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 F350 power stroke
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help. My 97 7.3 has a brand new E40D transmission and is shifting weird. From 2-3 if I’m going up a slight incline sometimes it will shift super hard and does the same at higher RPMs going up a hill then releasing the throttle a bit then BOOM it shifts hard and learaches forward. Other times it seems to work just fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
99 & 00, F350s, manual and auto, Ext & Crew Cab, 4x2 & 4x4, need more room!
3,480 Posts
Need some help. My 97 7.3 has a brand new E40D transmission and is shifting weird. From 2-3 if I’m going up a slight incline sometimes it will shift super hard and does the same at higher RPMs going up a hill then releasing the throttle a bit then BOOM it shifts hard and learaches forward. Other times it seems to work just fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Do you have codes? That would be so helpful! If not, get FORScan scanning software for Fords (free) and an OBDII reader. Greatest troubleshooting tool ever!

Take heart -- I had issues with my new transmission. Thanks to @Mark Kovalsky , I took the transmission harness back off for an end-to-end troubleshooting. I unplugged the whole harness from both ends and used an ohm meter to check it end-to-end. Also, look for continuity to ground and to 12V as well. Hopefully, not. As it turns out, I had two wires that had broken inside the insulation -- in my case, at the plug so I bought the two pigtails and replaced them.

If you have broken wires (easy to do on these old trucks), that could be your problem. It will take careful inspection and manipulation of the wires. You will see the wire bend easily at a broken place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts