Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to this forum. How this is the right place to post for tranny issues. So i have a 97 f250 2wd powerstroke with the e40d 4spd trans. I have paper work starting the tranny was rebuilt 50k ago. And while I'm driving usually in 4th it will just pop into neutral. I have to pull over for a bit before driving again. It shifts great drives smooth. But every one in a while fall into neutral. I read alot and everyone said the mlps. I replaced the mlps and plug. It ran good for few days. And it's doing it again. Please help. I need my truck back on the road asap. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the codes Im getting are. P0708 transmission range sensor a circuit high
P0707 transmission range sensor a circuit low.
Since I just replaced the trs. Why would i be getting these codes?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,221 Posts
You either have installed a defective MLPS or you have a damaged wire or dirty connection in the wiring between the computer and the MLPS. I'm betting on a wiring issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also sometimes it wont shift out of 1st in drive. i can manually shift into 2ed tho. also random occurrences. could it be solenoid pack or speed sensor or somthing like that?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,221 Posts
It could be, but it is because of the problems with the MLPS. Get that fixed and everything should be fine.

You need a VOM and a wiring diagram to check the wiring. Check between the PCM and the MLPS. Sometimes the best way to do this is to take it to a really good independent shop that specializes in electrical problems. With the right equipment and a lot of experience it isn't hard to find problems like this.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,221 Posts
Continuity, plus short to ground and short to power.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,221 Posts
No, I don't know what that wire does. That could be your problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
im having the EXACT same issue but i haven't touched the range sensor yet im trying to not sink money into this trans since im waiting for my BTS but i need my truck so i might start poking around. mine will sometimes fall out of gear it seems like the first to second change is where it happens but then some days you'd never think there was anything wrong with the trans at all so i think its a wiring problem

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
At the TRS (MLP) sensor connector 1012:
Wire 359 Gy/R is TRS Sensor Signal Return pin 2 to PCM (connector 1027) pin 91.
Wire 199 LB/Y is Transmission Range Sensor to PCM (connector 1027) pin 64.

The other wires in the TRS plug are for the Backup Lights and the Cruise Control enable/disable circuits.

B/O wire 924 connectors 1027 (PCM) and 1048 solenoid pack connector.
The B/O wire 924 at PCM (connector 1027) (pin 53 If Federal truck, pin 20 if California truck) goes to Transmission connector 1048 pin 5 on the other side of the transmission. Its for the Coast Control solenoid.

Check this wire for an unwanted intermittent ground (Bare spot in insulation).

The other wire for the solenoid is pin 1 wire 361 Red in same connector 1048 to PCM connector 1027 pins 71 and 97 Power Input (goes to #1&2 Shift solenoids, TC Clutch solenoid and Coast Clutch solenoid).

·
Registered
134 Posts
whelp i think i found my problem i drove my pickup around to do some errands and it was doing great no erratic shifting nice shifts I stopped by a local auto parts store looking for some info and got back in my truck to head home and instantly it started shifting funny i went home and started feeling around and felt the pan for the trans and it was super hot almost to hot to touch, so i believe i have a cooler issue i noticed one of the trans cooler lines has a little bit of a kink in it and could be reducing the flow to the cooler so im wondering if this could be my problem and if its worth getting new cooler lines and back flushing the cooler to see if it helps.like i said before im waiting on a bts so i dont wanna drop a lot of money into the trans. thanks and sorry for hijacking your thread

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Please let me know if that helps. I inspected my harness and its all good. I cleaned the connectors and tested each wires continuity. Every thing is good. Idk what the issue is still. Sometimes it wont shift out of 1st

1 - 20 of 47 Posts