Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I was driving at 70. I slowed to merge with an ajoining highway pushed on the accelerator and my 96 f250 was like it was in nuetral. I coasted over to the side and looked under the truck. Fluid was pouring out of the tourque converter dust cover. I shut off the truck and called a wrecker. During the hour wait fluid continued to leak out. By the time I got home the fluid had covered probably covered a 3'X3' area on the flat bed. Now that I get home from work there is probably a 5'x1' Puddle under the truck. Are these transmissions prone to loosing a front seal and dumping all the fluid or is there something else I should check with the torque converter? Its raining here today so Im trying to decide if I should
(A)refill the trans and see if it will move or
(B)pull the trans tomorrow and replace the seal and refill it and try to drive it
(C) pull it out for a rebuild (dont want to do this but I hate to pull it twice)
Anybody have theirs do this? Thanks for any help.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,179 Posts
It's common for the front seal to fail. There is an aftermarket seal made of Viton that is MUCH better than the stock seal.

When replacing the seal also replace the torque converter hub bushing and the pump gasket. Carefully inspect the hub on the torque converter for wear and grooving. If that surface is damaged at all the new seal will fail, too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark thanks. Do you think the clutches are still good? There is no burnt fluid smell, but it was like the truck was in nuetral. Could that be caused by just loss of fluid and no internal pressure?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,179 Posts
The clutches are probably fine. Usually it loses fluid fast enough that the clutches just release as if you shifted to neutral.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts