Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished my efuel build over the summer and have really liked how my truck has been starting now that the temps are getting pretty cold around here. I was hoping to make some further mods to the power supply for my fuel pump but im not sure how to go about it.

I was hoping to add a controller and an oil pressure switch so that when I get in my truck and turn to KEY-ON my pump primes for a couple seconds and then shuts off until I either start the engine or I cycle the key back and forth again. The reason I want to do this is I dont like sitting with KEY-ON for 45-90 seconds to warm the glow plugs all the while the pump is running.

Driven Diesel sells a complete harness that includes a controller and an oil pressure switch but its pretty pricey and I only need the controller out of it. Does anyone know how I could accomplish this?

·
Native Texan
8,987 Posts
I am using this to control mine. its a little weird but does the job.
Pulse Timer
Diesel site has this one its pricey but that the only one made for the job right now.
fuel pump control module

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using this to control mine. its a little weird but does the job.
Pulse Timer
Diesel site has this one its pricey but that the only one made for the job right now.
fuel pump control module
that diesel site controller would be perfect... cant justify that price at the moment though.

can you tell me a little more about your setup? how did you adjust this controller after you got it and where does it fit in your pump wiring.

im surprised at how little there is for this application. im curious what others are doing.. just letting the pump run for the entire GP cycle?

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the pump running. It's just circulating back to the tank anyways.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Native Texan
8,987 Posts
Well if the system is built rite it won't hurt for it to run all the time. the excess fuel will just return back to the tank. I installed it using 2 relays one to trigger it with a ground and one to power the pump the controller is triggered by ground and has a adjustment screw to set the time. it then turns on the pump relay thru the oil pressure switch and then once I start it the oil switch takes over grounding the relay. if u look in my sig on the site I think I have pics of it in my build thread.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
"My name is Bob the guy floating in the lake with no arms and no legs"
TSGT Bob W Martin USAF 1948-2014

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good points. I guess it really isnt hurting anything running.. It would be nice to not have the pump drawing on the batteries while the GP are on but I can live with that. maybe in the summer when the weather's nicer Ill add a controller and a oil pressure switch to my setup.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Get an oil pressure switch and plumb it into the port above the oil filter. NAPA part OP6610. Power goes to the fuel pump when you turn the ignition to start. Once it starts the oil pressure closes the switch and continues to power the pump until you turn off the key. The pump doesn't run with the key in the "run" position unless there is oil pressure (engine running).

A standard headlight plug happens to match perfectly to this switch as well.

You're looking at about $30

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get an oil pressure switch and plumb it into the port above the oil filter. NAPA part OP6610. Power goes to the fuel pump when you turn the ignition to start. Once it starts the oil pressure closes the switch and continues to power the pump until you turn off the key. The pump doesn't run with the key in the "run" position unless there is oil pressure (engine running).

You're looking at about $30
Hey csp, this seems easy enough, maybe il take care of it this weekend.

I was hoping to be able to run the pump for a couple seconds before ignition to prime it and purge the air but its not too big of a deal if I cant do that.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Unless your pump has some function that makes it able to pump air, there shouldn't be any air in the lines to pump out. Once primed it should stay primed.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
thats cool. I am changing my spade connectors.

thank you

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts