Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddies 97 f350 dually has an e-brake on the drive shaft. Obviously it doesn’t work and I’d like to rebuild, found a kit on eBay but I can’t find any info on anywhere on the web. Haven’t taken anything apart yet just doing some footwork so I kinda have an idea of what I’m doing. It basically looks like a rear drum brake. Am I wrong? I’ve found rebuilt units ranging from $900 to $1500 but rebuild kit is less then $200.
Looking for a write up or something with info. Any of you guys have experience with these things?

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts
if it is a F350, the parking brake should be part of the rear brakes. if it is indeed on the back of the transmission, than it is a F-Superduty, or someone swapped a F-Superduty trans into the F350.

·
don't play well w others
4,003 Posts
^^^^^ What the window licking paste eater said

Most of the time driveshaft drums don't need rebuilt, the shoes are either loose, or the cable/ linkage is out of adjustment.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Before chasing and paying for parts that are not needed I would check and see if there is a e-cable going to the rear drums.

As the two above said the F350 had the e-brake on the wheels where the F Superduty had it on the transmission

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts
nope. only the F-Superduty got it, because they had 4 wheel disc brakes.
and vehicle that has rear drum brakes had parking brake in the rear drums.

·
don't play well w others
4,003 Posts
My e 450 has one too. rule of thumb. Dual wheels and payload of 25,000 will get you a trans park brake

easy to tell if the brake belongs on the truck, there is no dust shield on the rear rotors, and no park brake shoes inside.
You can crawl under and see this
Tried to post pictures, but said file is too big. IDK, never had that problem before

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts
i did not....Charlie is the window licking paste eater.......he just decided to throw it back at me because he ain't that smart and could not think of anything else to call me...

i am the "alleged moderator"

·
don't play well w others
4,003 Posts
i did not....Charlie is the window licking paste eater.......he just decided to throw it back at me because he ain't that smart and could not think of anything else to call me...

i am the "alleged moderator"
Naaaaa, I lernt it from u. U is my idol. I tries to b juss like u cause u iz such a BIG supersized superstar

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
Now Children be nice don't make me turn this forum around.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it is a 97 f350 on the title. This has dual rear wheels with massive juice rear brakes. It was from what I understand originally a tow truck converted to a dump box.
It has a cable and when you stand on the pedal it feels like there’s something there as in resistance but it does absolutely no good. Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
If it has the cable going to the rear drums it might just need adjustments or the shoes may be shot. I believe that I would pull one of the drums and then take a look at it and see which it may be.

·
Registered
432 Posts
quick check if the truck is 8 lug it would of came with rear drum brakes with parking brakes there and if so most likely the rear cables are sized up since u say it has a stiff pedal if its 10 lug it will have the driveline drum only and still i would look for a seized cable first

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don’t recall if it was 8 or ten lug, I’ll be around the truck Friday and double check. And it definitely has disk rear brakes

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And stiff pedal felling is slightly past halfway through the pedal travel. I can see the arm the cable attaches to on the device move. So cable is not frozen and maybe slightly stretched but should from what I can tell work.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts