Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Peon
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my Dynatrac front differential cover installed today and IMO it's pretty spiffy. Normally a diff cover isnt' anything you'd think much about but since I was going to take my old cover off for this service interval I figured I might as well put something on that's improved over stock. Overall it was a pretty simple job but I did have to grind a tiny bit out of the edge to clear the inner u-bolt on the driver's side spring pack and that held me up a bit since I never bought a new Dremel tool after smoking my old one (literally, it was screaming hot and smoke was coming out of it) and had to wait for Mrs. JV to come home from work and drive me to Home Depot for a new one. Once I got the edge ground out the cover went right on and I refilled the diff with some Redline 75W90.

Like all the Dynatrac parts I've seen (I have their Free-Spin hub conversion kit) it seems to be very high quality and should hold up a good long time so I'm pleased--thanks to BigStroker (Paul @ Complete Performance) for dealing with me to order it. On a side note--I used 3 quarts plus a tiny little bit of fluid (spilling a couple tablespoons in the process) so that should be the correct amount of fluid, right? The owner's manual says 2.7 liters and 3 quarts plus a smidge is right around that amount, if I've done my arithmetic correctly.

Here's a shot of how much I had to grind off the edge of the cover:

Here's a crappy cellphone pic of the cover installed--my truck only has a leveling kit for the front suspension and I didn't need to re-clock the front axle so the tie rod runs right across the center of the cover.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Damn you had to take a good bit off of the side. I had to do some on my 01, but not to that extent. It is a very beefy cover :D

·
Peon
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shop I had install my leveling kit may have shifted that u-bolt plate just a tick over and that's why I had to take so "much" out of the cover. I'm not really worried since, like you said, the cover is very very beefy and there seems to be PLENTY of material (especially compared to the stock cover) to spare.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Looks almost like the SOLID AXLE cover I just ordered. $81 including shipping. How much was the Dynatrac?

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Looks good man :fordoval:

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Looks like a nice piece and welcome back jvencius.

·
Michigan Ice Dog
226 Posts
Looks great!:bow:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts