Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched the forums and didnt really find what i was looking for..

i am about to swap turbo and up pipes, and was wondering if i could put regular dynamat in the engines side of the firewall. would heat be an issue for it? i figure this is the best time to do it since i will have a little room to work. if not dynamat, then what? gonna start the swap tomorrow, so i would rather not have to order anything. parts stores or stereo shop stuff would be ideal! thanks! :ford:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I checked into doing that and i do believe heat is an issue... i just did the floor and back of the cab.. still have my doors and headliner to do... what a diffrence just the floor made though!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'd make a few phone calls and find out what the heat rating is. The stuff we used to sound dampen our trucks has a 250 degree rating and I have read of some guys useing dampening material on the under side of thier hoods so it should work. I will be doing it to my truck next time I pull the motor.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool guys, thanks. gonna do some research today!

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, found the heat resistance on dynamat. turns out they hae stuff specifically for under the hood. dynamat hoodliner is resistant up to 250*f butr mx temp was around 400*. called my local truck shop and they said that should be fine.. he's getting me a price now. any other sugestions before i commit?

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not a bad idea, i'll search for the thread. i'm just wondering about the firewall cuz i'll be back there anyway. i started reading about the valve covers, but quit following it.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I just put Lizard Skin on my valve covers. I have not run the truck yet as I am not quite done with what I was doing under the covers. But, I do have "brown bread" sound dampening on the floor, doors and hoodliner. I have not touched the fire wall on either side. I think you would have to remove what is there from the factory. If, I was starting over with the sound dampening process, I would look into the spray and or roll on products. In the end, they appear cheaper.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
not a bad idea, i'll search for the thread. i'm just wondering about the firewall cuz i'll be back there anyway. i started reading about the valve covers, but quit following it.
While you are at it, apply the material to the underside of the cowl, above the turbo. That made a HUGE improvement on my truck.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool layson, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
also check ebay for fatmat. it is alot cheaper than dynamat and from the stuff i used it looks identical.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used Dynamat on my 95. The hood and firewall have it. No issues with heat yet.
thanks, thats the answer i was looking for!

urbanwheeler, i have looked at fatmat and will prolly use it when i do the interior. i was looking for something that i dont have to order.. been sitting on this turbo for weeks now waiting on parts. also got a trip next weekend that i need the truck for and i dont think the old turbo would make it. but ya, fatmat is a lot cheaper!

·
<- My lucky set of PMR's
163 Posts
I have put dynamat on the firewall and on my valve covers with no problems at all. The valvecovers have been dynamatted for about five years. While the motor is out of my truck I put the hoodliner material on the firewall for a little extra help. It makes a pretty noticeable difference, well worth the time and money to do it.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for all the tips guys. i ended up not doing anything to the firewall because i didnt want to go over the factory stuff and didnt feel like ripping it all out. got the new turbo in and just put a magnaflow muffler on it. that made a lot of difference in the drone and noise that was bugging me. i did however manage to screw up my valve cover harnesses while changing intake plenums. so the covers are coming off and getting rhinolined when i change the gaskets. that should make for a pretty quiet stroker. :D

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
How did the dynamat on the covers work for you?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts