Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock exhaust with a 4" downpipe and dpf/cat delete and am looking for a little better sound. I plan on upgrading to a 5" exhaust later, but don't want to spend the money right now. I figure that there's bound to be someone on here that's done this before so does anyone think dumping it would make a noticeable difference in sound? I'm trying to find sound clips and if anyone has one.

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
Ive seen it done and a few of my buddies have done it on their 7.3s but nvr on a 6.4.. I say do it, i like the clean look of not seeing it.. My brother dumped his exhaust over the axle on his 08 Z71 and now on his new tundra and i really like it..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i have done it this way on all my gas trucks, but wasnt sure how it would sound with this 6.4l hairdryer

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i got bored and went out and cut it..... it actually made a pretty good difference in the sound. There is more v8 rumble, and you can hear the turbos more while driving. If the smoke gets things too dirty ill just deal with it for a while till i get my 5" exhaust. I just hope that flimsy heat shield on the side of the spare tire will hold up to some heat lol

·
Silver Death
342 Posts
your tail gate will get a light dusting of soot thats about it

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have had my exhaust dumping after the rear axle pointing at the ground for over a year now. With 4 and 5". I like the tone better and I don't get ANY soot on the truck. Best thing I have done.

·
all stroked up
109 Posts
exactly what i was thinking about doing...i guess thursday when my exhaust gets here i'll try it out

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After driving it around today i really got to hear the difference and i like it, even with just the stock 3.5" pipe. I got on it from a stop and smelled something burn so i think i may have scorched my spare tire.

·
all stroked up
109 Posts
when i put my exhaust on yesterday i just didnt put the tail pipe section on...love the deeper sound it gives. still get that hint of hairdryer sound at like 20 psi boost but it doesnt last long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts