Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What makes the hood light come on? Where is the switch?
My bulb burned out, so I replaced the hood light w an LED light.

I noticed tonight what the light did not turn off when I shut the hood.
I checked that it was latched correctly. Shut it again, but the light still stayed on. I had to unplug the connector.

Any ideas?

Sean

·
Registered
629 Posts
Must be a "murcury" switch, the liquid, when lifted, makes the connection
and when the hood is down it "breaks" the circut. If I can get to it, I'll
see what I find on my truck.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Must be a "murcury" switch, the liquid, when lifted, makes the connection
and when the hood is down it "breaks" the circut. If I can get to it, I'll
see what I find on my truck.
I guess that would make sense, but it seems like there should be a better way.
I wonder how often the light comes on during the day.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i didnt know we had a light...:doh:

i better get that fixed....

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
No light on mine. Guess I need to look to see if its a bulb missing or if its even there on mine.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Mine broke. I want a hood light out of an old F150, the one that actually puts out some light and will pull out of the bracket and can move to anywhere on the truck to use as a drop light.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The switch may be fine, LED's just do strange things sometimes. I replaced my dome lights in my old truck with LED's, and they wouldn't turn fully off. Try swapping a regular bulb in. It only takes 1.5v to run an LED, so a little power may still run through a merc switch, causing it to stay on.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The switch may be fine, LED's just do strange things sometimes. I replaced my dome lights in my old truck with LED's, and they wouldn't turn fully off. Try swapping a regular bulb in. It only takes 1.5v to run an LED, so a little power may still run through a merc switch, causing it to stay on.
I ended up putting a spring switch under the hood. Same thing you use for an alarm. The problem is fixed.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Are you guys saying that you don't have a light under the hood, or are you saying that you never open the hood?
Im saying my truck doesnt have a light or the bulbs blown. Nothings ever lit up when I opened the hood.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Im saying my truck doesnt have a light or the bulbs blown. Nothings ever lit up when I opened the hood.
:whs::shrug:

·
RDRCM
1,922 Posts
I guess that would make sense, but it seems like there should be a better way.
I wonder how often the light comes on during the day.

It comes on at every good sized bump in the road. I found this out after installing the cowl hood and the holes in the cowl lighting up at night. I just pulled the bulb and put it in the glove box for now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts