Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Native Texan
9,012 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, the dual tensioner is “8” ribbed? My 94 1/2 has 7 ribs and I am in need of tensioner, just trying to find the best options!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I believe it is a 8 groove belt at least that's what mine is. I guess they still used the old setup on the early powerstroke.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet. So @heavydoc can be happy that it finally did.🤣 And @Turd-250 "WILL" be blamed for. If My internet will stay up for @heavydoc to see my pics.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I can't say if it's original or not, but my 94.5 has the 8 rib on most of it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Yup. Lol
I have one or maybe 2 pulleys that are 7. Cane that way, and I'm not fixing what's not broken. Lol

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Fore-aft alignment of the grooves might be an issue. Jasper, is your tensioner 8-rib? If so, there's probably some hope that the 8-rib SD tensioner will work on Andy's truck.

Hmm, I suppose there's also the option of swapping the ribbed pulley from the existing tensioner.... Smooth pulley shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For me swapping out 7 groove pulleys to 8 groove is not a good option right now! The design of the original tensioner is very poor, just trying to find better options! Thanks for the thoughts so far!

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Nope, it's straight. Lol
Never an issue with the belt, except when the idler pulley went.
I can't say on the tensioner. Been awhile since I've been in there. But, I thought it was a smooth pulley on the backside of the belt?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Oh, duh that's right. Tensioner is smooth. I guess my question is about the idler next to the tensioner. Is that a 7 or 8 rib?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could someone confirm the o/d of the 8 groove tensioner pulley, do you think one of the 7 groove idler pulleys might be the same o/d. Thinking I might be able to swap it out?!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
It might be different simply because it's for an SD. You're probably looking at a different belt length no matter what you do, since that's what this whole thread is about.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
My 94 had 7-rib belt and pulleys. FWIW, I never went with the dual pulley tensioner, I just went with new single pulley replacement. When I had to change out my AC compressor, I could not find one with a 7-groove clutch pulley so I used one with an 8-rib. The 7-rib belt was just fine (I think I used the rear-most 7 grooves). No problems whatsoever. Here are part numbers I have for 7-groove and 8-groove idler pulleys:

Idler Pulley, Ribbed (7-rib belted 94 only)
(Ford) F5TZ-8678-A
(Motorcraft) YS-218

Idler Pulley, Ribbed (8-rib belted)
(Ford) F6TZ-8678-HB
(Motorcraft) YS-268
(Goodyear) 49037

I think they are both 90mm diameter pulleys. Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 94 had 7-rib belt and pulleys. FWIW, I never went with the dual pulley tensioner, I just went with new single pulley replacement. When I had to change out my AC compressor, I could not find one with a 7-groove clutch pulley so I used one with an 8-rib. The 7-rib belt was just fine (I think I used the rear-most 7 grooves). No problems whatsoever. Here are part numbers I have for 7-groove and 8-groove idler pulleys:

Idler Pulley, Ribbed (7-rib belted 94 only)
(Ford) F5TZ-8678-A
(Motorcraft) YS-218

Idler Pulley, Ribbed (8-rib belted)
(Ford) F6TZ-8678-HB
(Motorcraft) YS-268
(Goodyear) 49037

I think they are both 90mm diameter pulleys. Cheers!

In your opinion, do you think swapping pulleys on a dual tensioner will work?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I'm not sure if it will work or not. I know that the standard idler pulleys (the part I listed which is different than the tensioner pulley) wouldn't fit on the tensioner without modifying the pulley's "fins" on the backside (tensioner side), at least on the regular single-pulley tensioner. Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just didn’t this mod this morning. I ordered all the right parts, I think. I ordered a BT-50 dual tensioner from Amazon. And a JK8-1227 belt from Amazon. The belt seems excessively loose when idling. A couple questions: does the dual tensioner have less travel when you use a breaker bar to relax it compared to the original single tensioner? It feels to be moving only about a half inch in rotation when I relax the tensioner. And when you say both pulleys pivot, you mean in a seesaw motion correct? I looked up up under the truck and the tensioner doesn’t appear to be hitting anything. Any help is greatly appreciated, trying to get the truck running before Monday.

·
Native Texan
9,012 Posts
I used a K081223 also make sure the tensioner clip is released fully.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet. So @heavydoc can be happy that it finally did.🤣 And @Turd-250 "WILL" be blamed for. If My internet will stay up for @heavydoc to see my pics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gotnit figured out! The retention clip wasn’t completely out of the way. I ordered BT-50 and JK8-1227 and works like a champ for those needing a second thought on whether to get the real deal or cheaper parts.

·
Native Texan
9,012 Posts
well belts I swing with aftermarket cause my suppliers treat me well. but the tensioner has to be the real deal as the aftermarket ones only half pivot the smooth pulley doesn't move.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts