Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Billy,

Did you use the Ford harness for the 215 amp Alternator or did you make your own?

If you bought it do you have a part #?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Billy,

So what I'm understanding:

Installing a 215 amp ambulance alternator requires a longer belt.
Yes.

Installing a 99 up Super Duty fan pulley with a smaller diameter requires a shorter belt.
Doing a SD water pump pulley by itself with a stock OBS alternator.....don't know.

Doing both together cancels out the belt issue, what ever belt was right for the tensioner set up installed will still be correct with both alt and pulley installed together.

Correct?
SD pulley with 215A alternator.... Motorcraft: JK8-1202A (belt for 215A alternator). It's within the marks on the tensioner but on the loose side.

SD pulley, 215A alternator, dual tensioner....Motorcraft: JK8-1227

When you do the dual tensioner conversion, it'll make sense to you.

Billy,

Did you use the Ford harness for the 215 amp Alternator or did you make your own?

If you bought it do you have a part #?
215A alternator ....Done w/pics - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

When I originally did the conversion back in 2006...The days of TDS :poke:

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am a bit late to this party but did you get the Motorcraft BT-50 tensioner form amazon? Does it fit a 95 OBS? I cannot seem to find that answer anywhere!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
1320Trucker, I don't remember where I got my BT-50, but Amazon is usually a good source. That tensioner will fit the OBS trucks, but only when you do the full TSB. PM me if you want, and I'll try to answer questions. However, I'm tied up with a work project through Sat afternoon.

·
Terminator Nation
5,121 Posts
You can get parts at Rockauto:

RockAuto

There is a changeover in belts for early and late OBS trucks. If you have a late truck with an eight ribbed belt then its no problem to change over to the SD tensioner.

If your truck uses the early seven ribbed belt, then you would have to change all of the early seven ribbed pulleys to the later eight ribbed pulleys since the dual pulley SD tensioner uses the SD JK8-1227 eight ribbed serpentine belt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
old man dave, you cannot get the dual arm tensioner from rockauto. I looked and its no where to be found. However amazon and parts geek have it. I have a dual-arm on there already but with the belt shredding I figured it was time to change it and the belt out.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
You will never find the dual tensioner in the 94-95 section on Rockauto or even Ford parts, go up to the Super Duty truck and you will find it. Even if you take the part number in the TSB (F8UZ-6B209-CA) is will not show that it fits on the 94-97 engine.

·
Registered
965 Posts
you cannot get the dual arm tensioner from rockauto.
Yes you can. It is where I bought mine.

Do not get the non-motorcraft one from O'REilly's or similar as it is not a true, dual pivoting design.

Getting the correct belt length was the biggest challenge for me.

Do not fret the modification of the bracket. It can be done with the precision of a chain saw. It is only providing clearance.

More Information for MOTORCRAFT BT50

·
Terminator Nation
5,121 Posts
You are looking for a Super Duty dual idler tensioner for a 1999-2003 7.3 turbo diesel. More specifically, the Motorcraft tensioner.

2002 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY 7.3L V8 DIESEL Turbocharged Belt Tensioner | RockAuto

You can also do a part number search at RockAuto, just enter the P/N and it will direct you to the part listing. (F8UZ-6C209-CA).

Also go to retailmenot for a 5% discount code to be entered into the "How did you hear about us" box on the checkout page for RockAuto. Cut and paste the number into the box.

https://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com

I still like the Motorcraft JK8-1227 belt.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Do not get the non-motorcraft one from O'REilly's or similar as it is not a true, dual pivoting design.
Thanks for posting this; this is an important bit of info. You can pull up the pics of the Gates, Dayco, etc. versions on RockAuto's site, and if you zoom in and look REAL close at the back-side view, indeed you see that the ribbed pulley is on the "fixed" part of the tensioner body. Easy thing to miss.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bugman and Leojr, I found it on Amazon. Way easier. I shouldn't have to really modify anything tho, I already had the dual arm on there already. Right?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Bugman and Leojr, I found it on Amazon. Way easier. I shouldn't have to really modify anything tho, I already had the dual arm on there already. Right?
What year truck? If OBS, no, the smooth pulley is fixed and the ribbed pulley applies the tension. If SD, then yes, the smooth and the ribbed pulleys are mounted together and both rotate to apply tension. The knockoffs mount like the new one but only one pulley pivots.

·
Terminator Nation
5,121 Posts
You should check your installation against the TSM to see if it was installed correctly, especially if you were shredding belts before.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm somewhat new to the OBS 7.3. What are the advantages of the dual tensioner? Are the belts bad for coming loose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
965 Posts
On the new design, the two tensioner pulleys are mounted and pivot together like a see saw does. Though the pulley bearings may wear out, the assembly doesn't.

The older design has one pulley fixed, and the other pulley pivots. As this single armed assembly wears out it tends bend outwards out of alignment.

As Ford changed to this design it is presumed an improvement.

The proper pulley assembly can be a little hard to find as the cheap AutoO'Rielly's parts store assembly does not have the two pulleys on a common, rotating bar, rather, one is fixed and one pivots, defeating the primary design improvement. Seek a Motorcraft BT-50 only.

The draw back, for me, is the belt length can be hard to find. And the routing is now a little different than the routing in the diagram on the sticker across the top of the radiator support. I found a sticker that shows the revised routing and placed it next to the original and also wrote the belt part number next to it with a Sharpie.

·
Registered
28 Posts
On the new design, the two tensioner pulleys are mounted and pivot together like a see saw does. Though the pulley bearings may wear out, the assembly doesn't.

The older design has one pulley fixed, and the other pulley pivots. As this single armed assembly wears out it tends bend outwards out of alignment.

As Ford changed to this design it is presumed an improvement.

The proper pulley assembly can be a little hard to find as the cheap AutoO'Rielly's parts store assembly does not have the two pulleys on a common, rotating bar, rather, one is fixed and one pivots, defeating the primary design improvement. Seek a Motorcraft BT-50 only.

The draw back, for me, is the belt length can be hard to find. And the routing is now a little different than the routing in the diagram on the sticker across the top of the radiator support. I found a sticker that shows the revised routing and placed it next to the original and also wrote the belt part number next to it with a Sharpie.

Thanks leojr! I'll look into mine to see if it's got any play and look into this mod when it does.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
loejr explained it very well.

I've attached a scan of the new belt routing decal and the original TSB.

On edit, I see that the belt routing sticker scan was resized and the resolution decreased. If you want the original, PM me.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, the dual tensioner is “8” ribbed? My 94 1/2 has 7 ribs and I am in need of tensioner, just trying to find the best options!

41 - 60 of 77 Posts