Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
redneck engineer
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im just wondering im in the middle of a 5 speed swap, and im swappin an idi zf in my 97. well iwas hoping the clutch assembly would swap but it wont. so i was lookin at just fly wheels and the solids are so much cheaper, but it says needs to be converted to a solid clutch setup. my ? is whats the difference in the clutch setup?

·
Registered
886 Posts
If it were me I would do the swap to the solid flywheel now. Chances are you will do it eventually cause the dual mass flywheels are known to come apart.

·
redneck engineer
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply but thats not what iwas tryin to get at. sorry should have worded it better. i have a dual mass setup now on the 94 idi im gettin the 5 speed from. i was hoping they would interchange but the flywheel bolt pattern is different. i was looking at just getting a flywheel and when i was pricing them the solid was much cheaper, but it said must change to a solid flywheel clutch setup. well the one in the idi was changed about three months ago its still good. i was wondering why i couldnt use that disc and pressure plate with a soild flywheel. is there really a big difference?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I believe you would run into a balancing issue.

·
redneck engineer
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i havent a clue im gonna get the fly wheel and see how it goes. the dual mass looks like any other clutch ive seen. if some one had a pic of the two it would help. i just dont see how there would be such a big difference. i dont know ive always delt with clutches in gassers. never had to deal with on in a diesel.

·
02 CCSB
118 Posts
I believe the factory dual mass disc is 12.25 or12.5" and the single is a full 13. At least in the LUK flywheel/plate/disc kits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts