Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I went dual fuel Bosch pumps setup regulated return from 444fab . here's the pump setup in pics . I'm running stock injectors as of now but will be upgrading to 238/80 in the next couple months when I get the funds saved . starting with fuel since the stock pump started leaking .

so the questions

can I hook up the secondary pump to a pressure switch on the regulated return. if so what pressure should I make the secondary pump kick on . and in pics u can see the one way check valve is installed on the top pump . should it be the primary or secondary pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Since it's been 9 hrs, thought I'd poke my head in and give it a bump.

I have a theory that the pump with the check valve should be the secondary. If wired the other way I would think it would be trying to back flow into the first filter whenever only one pump is running. But I can't tell which way the check valve is in the pictures.

Nice setup BTW.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
I would run checks on both pumps personally. I like the idea of running the pressure switch but I think it's over complicating it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would run checks on both pumps personally. I like the idea of running the pressure switch but I think it's over complicating it.
I don't really see how it would over complicate it second pump would still need something to trigger it there would just be a pressure switch in the trigger line wire

·
Project Shamu
2,417 Posts
Thats what I thought, if either one quit, you don't want the good one to backfeed fuel? I would run check valves on both regardless.

·
Project Shamu
2,417 Posts
They probably are, but no sense in running one pump with a restriction and the other open, you would wear the restricted pump out faster working it harder.

I'm sure they can't restrict that much anyways.

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
I don't really see how it would over complicate it second pump would still need something to trigger it there would just be a pressure switch in the trigger line wire
So the pressure switches would need a snubber to keep from getting blown out. There could be a condition where the relay opens and closes very quickly and could cause damage to the relay or the pump. If you could find a high low sensor that would make much better sense. But at what price, or just wire it up to a simple relay and run two.

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
You need a normally closed. That wont work.

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thank u sir I can see theres one there to work . Just need that's smarter than me to say which one because there a lot I don't know on what some of it means . Lol I figure one that's around 60 psi and adjustable
I took a look at a chemical compatibility chart for the polyimide diaphragms used in these switches and they are rated excellent on diesel and gasoline.

As to your question as to which one.... need to design the circuit first. Adjustable within the normal pressure range is good. Then do we want normally open (contacts close with rising pressure) or normally closed (contacts open with rising pressure) NC would be my choice set to about 5 or 10 lbs below regulator pressure.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You need a normally closed. That wont work.
Thank u sir I can see theres one there to work . Just need that's smarter than me to say which one because there a lot I don't know on what some of it means . Lol I figure one that's around 60 psi and adjustable
I took a look at a chemical compatibility chart for the polyimide diaphragms used in these switches and they are rated excellent on diesel and gasoline.

As to your question as to which one.... need to design the circuit first. Adjustable within the normal pressure range is good. Then do we want normally open (contacts close with rising pressure) or normally closed (contacts open with rising pressure) NC would be my choice set to about 5 or 10 lbs below regulator pressure.
Looks like normally closed

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I won't make any claims to be a fuel system expert, or even a novice, but here's what I see from the outside looking in.

If you rig this up like you are talking, it looks like it will create a situation where the secondary pump comes on, pressure rises, regulator compensates, return pressure rises, pump shuts off, regulator compensates, return pressure falls, pump comes on, regulator compensates............ Seems very complex to me. Added pump wear, plus relays switches ect. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

Personally, I'd recommend a check valve for each pump so it can be driven home on one pump during a failure, with each pump circuit fused individually as a fail safe, but wired to run together. Then add a good gauge with an isolator, or electric. I think you would have a simpler more robust system this way.

( This has all been mentioned above by Lt. Dan and Sbluke, it's just condensed here)

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts