Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one please tell me what DTC P1728 & P0603 is? Was driving down the road just going 60 mph and all of a sudden my od off light came on and started flashing, hooked up the programmer and it showed code P0603 and P1728. Shut the truck off and started up and it went away then about 20 minutes later it came on again.

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
P1728 Tran Slip Error
The other one is keep alive memory

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I understand the Trans slip, is there anything that I can check to see exactly what the problem is?

And what is keep alive memory?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Means your PCM has been removed from battery power (to put a chip in, batteries removed, something of that sort). Nothing to worry about.

The trans slipping needs to be worried about.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, Im sure this is a problem, my trans fluid smells burnt (horrible smell) how do I drain it and what would cause this and is there any problems with this being burnt to the internals?

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
Pull the pan and replace the filter, iirc it takes 15 qrts if you dont have to fill the converter which you wont unless you flush it. How long has it been since last time fluids been changed? You can burn up you converter and clutch packs but i wouldnt worry about it unless it starts acting up

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
There is a write up in the Library on flushing the tranny.

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
where?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys, well here is the low down, pulled the pan and due to the horrible stinch of the the tranny fluid my garage sticks and the old lady is going to be mad when she gets home. Well the magnet in the pan looked like a porcupine and it couldnt hold anymore metal that it was floating around the pan. So spoke to tranny shop and they said that it is due for a rebuild, but he did say that I could replace the filter and tranny fluid and it should get me by till I come up with the money. Also the filter was dark brown almost black.

My question is how much does it typically cost to rebuild the tranny (Auto E40D) and what things should I do to it to make it bullet proof for future mods?

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
Guy who did a few of my buddies trucks did it for $1200. That with a woods valve body and triple disc converter heavy duty clutch packs, This guy pulls like crazy and heavy footed SOB.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the local trans guy said it would cost $2300 for all new billet parts, I thought that was a little high but wasnt for sure.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
For new billet parts, that's not a bad price.

Gonna move this to the tranny section.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts