Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my truck about a month ago. 01' F250 4X4 w/ 7.3l (Stock no CAT). With the first tank of fuel I got 16 mpg. The next tank a little under 16. Then it dropped to about 14, with my last fill up averaging about 12 mpg. I changed the oil when I got the truck and the fuel filter about a week ago. I run Diesel Kleen in the last tank thinking that maybe the injectors were dirty. My driving habits have not changed since I got the truck. My foot has always been made of lead, but I try to keep rpms under or around 2000 as much as possible. Will check the brakes this weekend for drag, but can anyone give me any other things to check? Or, do I just need to take it to a shop to have it checked? The truck has 148,000 miles on it if that matters.

·
Hoosier daddy!
1,700 Posts
Make sure you don't have a leak in the drain valve of your fuel bowl.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
You may already know and have checked this stuff but to be sure:

Check if the you have a air leak. The up pipes look for soot on the back firewall behind and above the turbo. Check also where they connect to the exhaust manifolds for leaks. Check all the boots pull them and check for hair line cracks. Change your fuel filter if you have not. Same with the air filter. Check each wheel to see if you have a brake dragging. Check tire pressure. Have them up at the max on the side wall. Obviously look for a fuel leak as has been mentioned.

Are you going off the computer mpg or are you hand calculating and filling up until the foam in gone and you can see fuel at the spout mouth? Just going till it clicks can vary as much as 5 gallons. You must hand calculate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only computer I ever use to calculate fuel mileage is my cell phone calculator. New fuel filter and air filter. Have not checked for soot or any of the boots. Will check this weekend when I'm checking for brake drag. Tire pressures are good, that was my first check. Thanks. I will post when I have more info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for taking so long to get back to this thread. My computer crashed out on me and I had to get a new one. Found a caliper that was causing brake drag. Changed out both the front calipers, and my mileage is back. Thanks to everyone that posted things to check. I appreciate the assistance.

John

·
1,097 Posts
Pull the disc out of the caliper and take a die grinder and bevel off the edges of your brake pads. That will keep them from dragging.

The edges of sintered metallic brake pads rust. Rust makes the iron swell up and drag.

·
Registered
338 Posts
And those dang caliper pins will hang up and cause drag too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts