Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some tests have been done on automatic transmission vehicles, concerning how hard you accelerate vs MPG.

Turns out that for legs of over a mile, it makes little difference in overall MPG how hard you accelerate. Yeah, accelerating very slowly (think granny in a M-B 240D) garners you a whopping 0.1% better MPG.

Best to accelerate fairly hard (as long as upshifts are not delayed) up to cruising speed in top gear then steady out on your cruise speed.

This keeps the engine in its sweet high load/low RPM mode all the way up to cruise speed, then you level out at your desired speed.

This advice should work for a stick as long as you don't shift at a higher RPM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree..... My auto Ex gets best in OD, and especially when going up a long hill it's best to get there a bit faster.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Some tests have been done on automatic transmission vehicles, concerning how hard you accelerate vs MPG.hould work for a stick as long as you don't shift at a higher RPM.
Hey, Dave, do you have a link to some of those tests?

I've been experimenting with my Scangauge in my Jetta using the LOD gauge. Bettered my MPG very consistently. My van is down right now, so I can't currently translate that data back to the auto in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts