Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question.

My truck is in right now at the mechanic having:

Rosewood 160/80's
Brute 66 Turbo
Honey Badger Jr. HPOP
and
3" plenums installed.

Problem is - I'm not having the mechanic install my 6 pos tuner. I'm not sure where I want it located yet etc. etc.

The drive from his shop to home is only 8 or 9 miles.

Am I going to have any issues driving on the stock PCM without the tunes installed ?

Thanks !

Dan

·
Registered
349 Posts
No issue at all, it will be fun too, just not as fun as when you do install the tunes

·
Registered
68 Posts
The tuner will just bring out the full potiental of your mods. Without it the truck will be a little more peppy than stock

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Quick question.

Am I going to have any issues driving on the stock PCM without the tunes installed ?

Dan
Think the only issue Dan will be you wondering why you spent all the Dough. Then when you get the chip installed you'll know why immediaty hahaaa

Have fun!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think the only issue Dan will be you wondering why you spent all the Dough. Then when you get the chip installed you'll know why immediaty hahaaa

Have fun!
Ha.

Well luckily it'll only be an 8 mile drive home....

Then I'll plug in the chip and switch and mount it temporarily...

after that....?....well....all bets are off :rockon:

·
I be strokin'
243 Posts
I drove mine home without the chip. Got it home and a few days later installed the chip. Drove to the gas station and a buddy was there in his dmax I stomped it and was embarresd!!! He said I thought it would run better than that. Went back home and pulled the chip and cleaned the glue stuff off better. Hooked it up and whamo it was a wicked machine then. Moral of the story is you can drive it without the chip but don't go showing off till you get it hooked up lol.

·
Registered
758 Posts
It may run perfectly fine, may have a touchy throttle or a number of other things. Nothing that will do damage. My OBS is very touchy untuned that's why I say that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ended up hiding mine in a little cup:

Dan

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
So Dan, notice any difference with the chip installed? Heh heh.

Mounted mine inside gauge cluster bezel driver's side.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So Dan, notice any difference with the chip installed? Heh heh.

Mounted mine inside gauge cluster bezel driver's side.
Took the truck to dinner the other night.....

I played it cool for along time....

As we were getting on the highway entrance ramp - I looked in my rearview mirror and noticed it was clear for a long way behind me.....

I clicked it into "drag" and matted it......

After I brought back down to legal limits....she turned her head and deadpanned to me........

"something this f*****g big...should not go that f*****g fast....in that f*****g short of a time......

And she didn't talk to me the rest of the way home...

So yeah...it runs good.

I also have an offer to put it on the dyno at a local college so I'll post numbers in a couple weeks.

Dan

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
You did this for her, to increase the margin of safety when hauling loved ones, you need enhance power for passing and the better fuel economy (once you get over romping) is just an added bonus. It's all about safety really, (and the environment) these trucks are outdated and mods are an effort to update them without buying new. Kinda like recycling or repurposing better for the environment too, as you're stretching out the life cycle of your rig rather than buying new. Buwhahahaaa.... I've tried that rationale on my loved ones and she (and kids) have of late been pestering for a new(er) 150 crew, I counter with maybe a used Raptor crew in white only. And getting rid of the Honda Pilot and one of the 3 power strokes. So far so good as they (used Raptors in white) in my area are not common.

Glad you're getting a kick out of the "new ride"

jrc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts