Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving w the new setup for almost a week now, and here are my impressions so far.

I wasn't sure if the 1.15 housing would be too loose, but the more I drive w it, the more I like it.

I noticed that the EGTs were a bit higher than w with the H2 while cruising.
At 70mph, the H2 would make about 5-7psi and run around 700-750 degrees.
The 42 will sit around 5psi and between 800-900 degrees.
Drive pressure is right at 1:1 at 5psi.

If I'm just cruising, and start to roll into it, or start to climb a grade my egts will climb to 1050-1100 degrees. If I downshift or juice it, the egts drop off quickly.

After 10-12psi, the egts hold around 1050-1100 when at part throttle. At WOT, the water comes on and the egts drop to 1100 degrees

The turbo starts to lite at 7-8psi, and starts pulling hard by 10-12psi.

These are the drive pressure ratios That I've seen so far.

Boost : Back pressure

5:5
10:8
15:12.5
20:17
25:20

I towed an enclosed trailer (maybe 10k) yesterday up a pretty good grade, and I was very happy w the way the combo worked.

egts at 30psi were right at 1000-1050 degrees, and I was at 65 by the top of the hill. The water barely came on. Towing the same trailer w the H2, my water would come on faster, and egts would only hold w the water.

The truck feels like it's working easier w the new combo.

The real test will be when I pull my toyhauler grossing 24k. So far I'm very happy w everything.

Sean

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Thats a great update Sean!

I have the 1.01 housing, have not ran it with the 1.15, but at 70 mph my EGT's are 600* at about 3 psi

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
The 1.15 housing on the 4294 gets they turbo ahead in the boost vs backpressure in the "working" ranges. At part throttle unloaded, the turbo is a tad laggy and seems to be down on boost. This goes away however once there is considerable load on the truck as in a towing situation.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 1.15 housing on the 4294 gets they turbo ahead in the boost vs backpressure in the "working" ranges. At part throttle unloaded, the turbo is a tad laggy and seems to be down on boost. This goes away however once there is considerable load on the truck as in a towing situation.
I hear what your saying, but it's not that laggy. I'm going to drive it more, and try towing my big trailer to see how it works.

What is the working range on the 4294?

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I hear what your saying, but it's not that laggy. I'm going to drive it more, and try towing my big trailer to see how it works.

What is the working range on the 4294?
IDK.... 71mm inducers are usually efficient between 15-40lbs or so. That's just a general rule, every turbo line has little map differences....

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IDK.... 71mm inducers are usually efficient between 15-40lbs or so. That's just a general rule, every turbo line has little map differences....
I'd love to see a MAP of the modded 66 next to the 42. It would be interesting to see how they compare.

I'd like to see how many lbs/min each flow at the different pressures.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I'd love to see a MAP of the modded 66 next to the 42. It would be interesting to see how they compare.

I'd like to see how many lbs/min each flow at the different pressures.
it's like comparing the 4088 to the 4294:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT40/GT4088R_751470_1.htm

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT42/GT4294R_774595_2.htm

Just in general terms.... probably another 80-100HP of potential difference in compressors. That's with properly matched turbine housings....

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, that's quality stuff there.. Any reason you didnt go with a 4202? Just curious
Mainly because I tow around 24k gross and it's on 38s. I didn't want to go too big, and loose my towing ability. I was actually set on the 4094, but Matt talked me into the 4294. I am very surprised how well the 70mm inducer lights. I really think it's as easy to drive as the 66mm H2, maybe easier. It definitely makes boost/ builds boost quicker, and seems to run cooler past 15-20psi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts