Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of let me say if this has been covered I apologize, I didn't see it anywhere. I am curious to see where the best cruising RPM is for maximum fuel economy and any other tips you guys could suggest. The truck in question is a 2000 F250 CCSB 4x4. Automatic with 3.73's. I have not checked the fuel mileage since I have put the current mods on it. But when the truck was stock it was getting right at 16 with highway rpms right at 2100. The truck now has a edge evolution cts tuner, napa 6637 filter, 5 in. mbrp straight pipe from the turbo back. Do I need to slow down while cruising on the highway to help my fuel economy or is the pretty respectable. It is on 305/70/16s. I know this does not help but am looking for stock rims and tires. Any help is greatly appreciate and sorry for the novel just now.

·
Livin in the flatlands.
525 Posts
Keep it under 2k and easy on the acceleration and slow down before you need to for corners and it will help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I was wondering where the RPM cut off was for better economy. thank you.

·
Jack Ken
215 Posts
I was told years ago that an engine is at its peak effiencey at its peak torque, so if thats true then my ex says peak torque at 1600 rpm. Of course this would be stock so with a chip it might change that. let me know if Im wrong, ive been wanting to KNOW the same thing.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
you would really need a instant mpg reading to see where your peak mileage is.

·
An Ancient view on life
314 Posts
I use the heck out of the scan guage on the Jetta TDI. I have put the instant mileage on top and the overall mpg for the current trip on the bottom. As long as I have the top one up, I am winning. With my scan gauge you can monitor 4 computer functions. I have instant mpg left top, average mpg left bottom, manifold pressure right top and block temp right bottom.

The scan gauge was worth an extra 5+ mpg for me with the Jetta. I was getting 47 to 48 mpg before the gauge and after learning (big change in driving habits) to drive the Jetta and using the scan gauge, I am able to turn in 54 to 59 mpg. The improvement was all it learning how to modify my driving habits and using the the systems built into the computer of the Jetta. The big advantage of its computer is that anytime you are decelerating in gear, no fuel is use. I think that is the case with the Ford computer, but then I am not sure about that yet. I would venture a guess that that is how Dave takes advantage of his 6 speed F-250.

I have been contemplating a scan gauge for the 97 F-250, but keep getting conflicting information about how it will work with the computer on the 97 and what information it will give. Why don't I put the Jetta scan gauge in the 97, I kind of have it hard wired in the Jetta and it would be pain the the butt to change over. Plus I don't use the 97 that much for DD as it uses 3 times the fuel.

It is all about driving habits and using the tools of the computer.

Ask me about the difference of driving like a maniac in the left freeway lanes versus the far right lane. It is amazing the number of damn fools that you get to watch go past you and then remember how I use to be one of those damn fools. lol

JonFord

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where would one go about finding this scan gauge that you speak of?

·
An Ancient view on life
314 Posts
I bought mine on Amazon.com. It was about 170 bucks then. Amazon.com: scan gauge You need to confirm that it will read all the parameters that you want for the PowerStroke engine.

JonFord

1 - 12 of 12 Posts