Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a 2004 350, and for me to be able to use my driving lights, I have to have the headlights on so the switch will pull out, and then the headlights have to be on dim. I see supordutys every now and then with the driving lights on WITHOUT the headlights being on. My question is, is there a modification to be able to do this, or did certain models have the ability to turn the switch on without the headlights being on, or did they more than likely not have the driving lights to begin with, and installed them with a seperate switch? Ive seen a couple of people whos truck description said fog light mod, so I was wondering what that was....anybody know what it is and what it does and how to do it??

·
Registered
23 Posts
it has to be wired that way the only thing i know how to do is make it so you can use fog lights and high beams at the same time

·
Registered
103 Posts
the fog light mod makes it so the fog lights will stay on with the high beams on. you can also swap out the factory bulb to a 9005 high beam bulb, and get alot more light output.

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

cant you turn on your fog lights with just the running lights on. I can with my 03

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, OK, thanks. I wasnt nescessarilly looking to make mine stay on with the high beams, I wanted to make mine be able to come on when just the parking lights were on, and headlights were off. I took my switch apart, and once I figured out how to get the knob and face off of it, I saw how it worked, with a small ramp guide in there that forced the driving lights to the off position when you turned the headlights off. I simply filed/ground my ramp back a little bit so that the switch would pull out when park lights were on, and it worked, I didnt have to jump any wires or anything, they will work as long as the switch is out, but they DO still go off when the high beams come on. I guess that needs to be my next mod, huh? OK...how does that mod work?

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
To make the fog lights stay on with the high beams, you take your fuse box out from under the dash and in the top right plug there is a green wire with a blk trace. Cut it and ground the wire coming from the fuse box.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, I appreciate that, I saw the link GS247 put up AFTER I asked that question. That looks pretty straight forward, thanks everybody!

·
Registered
103 Posts
i just got a wire that was about 20" long or so with an eyelet and spliced it in with a heat shrink butt connector. The process only took me between 5-10 min.

after (or before) change your fog light bulbs out to a 9005 high beam headlight bulb. its the same bulb as your stock fog light bulb except it's a 65 watt bulb instead of 45 watt. it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nobody had any issues with the wiring overheating or anything due to the upgraded bulb possibly drawing more amperage or anything? Hopefully not, because im thinking about heading to Wal Mart and seeing if they have any Silverstar 9005 H/B bulbs...LOL. If not, I guess it'll be tomorrow when the parts stores open up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
no prob with mine. i just upgraded to HID's for my headlights and im currently looking at HID 9005 for the fog's

·
Registered
878 Posts
OK, I have a 2004 350, and for me to be able to use my driving lights, I have to have the headlights on so the switch will pull out, and then the headlights have to be on dim. I see supordutys every now and then with the driving lights on WITHOUT the headlights being on. My question is, is there a modification to be able to do this, or did certain models have the ability to turn the switch on without the headlights being on, or did they more than likely not have the driving lights to begin with, and installed them with a seperate switch? Ive seen a couple of people whos truck description said fog light mod, so I was wondering what that was....anybody know what it is and what it does and how to do it??
You might want to look into a light switch from an 05-07 cause our's will light the fogs with only the park lights on....maybe just a simple switch swap will do..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Interesting .....mine is an 04 F350 and I have no problem turning my light switch for parking and then out for fog. If I turn the headlights on the fog lights stay. When I hit high beams the fog lights go out.....all as advertised.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
I have an '03, and I just have to turn on the parking lights and pull it out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, I appreciate it. I got mine to work with the simple switch mod, so im all good for the time being, but if I ever have to replace it, I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
40 Posts
my 2004 had same switch from factory
only need to have running lights on to operate driving lights (not headlights)
sounds a little weird
I have had several superdutys and excursions (2003-2006) all with same operations

1 - 14 of 14 Posts