Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you with more than 8" lifts please help. I'm looking at a 12 inch setup and have looked at some of my obstacles. I'd have to switch the steering to the top of course but the driveshafts are my issue. My front is almost too far at an angle now. Would I have to go with a CV setup at both ends of the shaft or would one side work?

Other than that and shocks and swaybar links, what else do I need? I'm looking at 12" springs.

I've considered swapping my steering up top anyways just for the clearance and "later on". Is there a pictoral site with the info on it?

Thanks
Dave

·
Lost Cause
896 Posts
Clock the transfer case and lengthen the driveshaft.

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
Any of you with more than 8" lifts please help. I'm looking at a 12 inch setup and have looked at some of my obstacles. I'd have to switch the steering to the top of course but the driveshafts are my issue. My front is almost too far at an angle now. Would I have to go with a CV setup at both ends of the shaft or would one side work?

Other than that and shocks and swaybar links, what else do I need? I'm looking at 12" springs.

I've considered swapping my steering up top anyways just for the clearance and "later on". Is there a pictoral site with the info on it?

Thanks
Dave
I had an 02 on 12 inches but, I did a BDS 8" kit then used Fabtech 4" hangers on the front, and blocks on the back. with super swamper TSL's 38x15.50x 16.5's the body was completely over the top of the tires. I put this truck through the [email protected]! I had fun with it.

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
oh by the way on the drive shaft's, I had to only add 3 inches to the front. can't remember on the rear, but part of the length if the carrier bearing drop bracket. get it on concrete and get the tape out and measure it out.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
A friend of mine has a BDS 12" lift on an 2000 SCSB, and his front shaft I believe they just lengthened, I don't think they added an additional CV.

His rear shaft they originally put a CV at the front, but it was eating one every 2-3 weeks. So they put in a high angle CV style looking joint and it has been fine since. I don't know what that joint is called, but I think it cost $250 or so by itself. He said they got it from a company out in California.

You may want to look at that BDS 12" kit, it comes with a whole new Hi-steer knuckle and an adjustable track bar, as well as other pieces. He swapped from a BDS 8" kit to the 12", and the only thing not in the kit was the driveshafts and I think sway bar extensions.

I will also add that his truck only ever had, and still has, a single piece rear driveshaft, so that may make a difference.

Dave

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'm hearing I can clock the transfer case to help some. I guess I can get it done and then just pull the front shaft off untill I can get it modified (before next winter). If my house sale goes well and the wife doesn't settle on too big of another one, then I'll get the springs and do the deed. My boys are excited about it.

I see Truck Toyz has the 12 inch setup but not sure i can spend that much at once on the truck right now. We'll see.

Thanks for all the help.

Dave

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
12" your going to need crossover steering..we can machine your knuckle for it..also have everything else needed. Best ride quality would be with 4.5" Hangers and 8" Icon springs in front and 8" Icons rear.with 5" blocks. PM if we can help.

Cary

·
Registered
484 Posts
You could buy the indexing ring. It rotates the transfer case like 20 degrees. Dropping the front out put shaft 6 inches. So a truck with 8 inches of lift the shaft would be at a 2 inch lift angle. Last time i checked it was $209 for a kit from Attitude Performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts