Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone upgrade their drive shaft to a 1 piece unit? Also what is out there for beefier U-joints?

Thanks

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
I have Spicer High performance u joints in mine from theujointstore.com i would like to see a one piece made up id buy it.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
my plan was to take them to a local drive shaft guy and have them re-tubed with heavier wall tubing and maybe upgrade the u-joints, its not going to be cheap though

Im not sure how important all of the this is, some people have said they have seen multiple driveline failures, when i think rudy is still on the stock drive shafts :shrug: but i think sled pulling is where people are twisting the tubes into candy canes

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
My u-joints and drive shaft have 75,000 miles on them and no issues yet. I have only pulled a sled twice, but I do plan on pulling again in April and May, so we shall see what happens. I know boosted launches have got to be hard them....I have done quite a few of those lol

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
any quality driveline shop can make you a good 1 piece. but dont plan on adjusting the height much. i plan on doing this once i drop the truck another inch.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The issue with a one piece driveshaft is overall length. The limit is the CC/SB for one piece shaft, if you have CC/LB it won't work. Many driveshaft shows don't even like building a one piece it the length required for a CC/SB due to the weight of the tubing required for the proper tube strength. It does work, my 7.3 CC/SB has one, Aaron's CC/SB has one(he was racing that truck 1st), and we've done many customers trucks that way.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The shop that built my one piece told me my truck was almost to long for a one piece, but I don't have a t-case to make up the difference from a extcab to a crewcab. Because it is lowered I can't fit a 4" shaft like I wanted and had to do a 3.5". The shaft shop expressed their concern with a 3.5" and the length, with the power I am making. Ideally a 4" is the way to go.

Also, if I don't break a stock shaft then I can't see anyone else......... that isn't sled pulling. Even after my pumpkin got turned up, I could have reused my stock shaft with new u-joints. Unless you like to spend money or broke the stocker, I wouldn't be wasting my money on a one piece.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts