Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Team Shade-Tree Mechanic
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The carrier bearing is shot on my OBS, does anyone know if it can be changed out with some hand tools? Or what will I need to be able to get the old one off to replace it?

Thanks

·
Team Shade-Tree Mechanic
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I am going to go out on a limb and say that to replace the bearing on our OBS trucks is a lot like replacing the bearing on my wife's 2002 SuperDuty.

2002 SuperDuty Carrier Bearing Swap

·
Team Shade-Tree Mechanic
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Team Shade-Tree Mechanic
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you remember what size puller you used?

·
Registered
467 Posts
on my OBS the carrier is on a stub that is part of the Slide Yoke..

I had to Press off the old bearing.
Used a pipe and a hammer to install the New one..
Thats the way a local Shaft Shop dose it..

Good Luck
John

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I took mine (drive shft) to a shop( big truck repair shop) and had it pressd on and off and had it balanced with new joints they can check you slp joints too.

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just have the driveshaft shop supply the u-joints and carrier bearing. Their price is as good as I can get anyway. The last one I had done was about $150 with all new u-joints, new carrier bearing and balance. It's a good deal.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I remember when I called Napa we had a hard time finding it. I think they called it a support bearing. I think I still have the box it came in. I will go check. It will have the part number on it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I just have the driveshaft shop supply the u-joints and carrier bearing. Their price is as good as I can get anyway. The last one I had done was about $150 with all new u-joints, new carrier bearing and balance. It's a good deal.
New u-joints, carrier bearing and balance? $150 seems worth it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
With searching support bearing I think I found it. They call it a driveshaft bearing & support or driveshaft support bearing like you said. But I found different ones under the different names.

·
Registered
350 Posts
oops......

·
Team Shade-Tree Mechanic
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, so new problem..... I need a new driveshaft now, it came apart on the way to the shop and now the end is beyond repair. So.... who has one? Truck is a 155in wheel base.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts