Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It takes 2 to 3 pulls of the door handle for the drivers door to open.

What do I need to fix/replace/adjust? I have power door locks. Door actuator was already replaced last year. I want to have the parts on hand before taking the door panel off.

Thanks

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
I've found that the mount were the handle mounts too will break the seam on the door it's bolted too.

I cheated and used big fender washers to fix it, just a temp fix since the cancer is taking over. Time for a restoration

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Here is how it goes

1st the cable that goes between the handle and latch stretches

THEN you have to pull that much harder/further on the handle to enough throw to open the door.

Typically the door cracks like JI97PSD said.

THEN the plastic door handle snaps off.

people LOVE to put the 80-86 Metal handle in thinking it is "better"

But all that does is rip the door, NOT fix the problem.

I suggest taking the latch out an cleaning/lubing it. Change the cable, WELD the door(possible add gusset) and enjoy for another 200k

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
That's what I would have done.... But rust across the the door is why I didn't . Brad wanna do my truck next? Lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
I welded a fender washer to the door where the lever attaches, then twisted the cable a couple times to take up some slack before re mounting the lever to the door.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cable is not available from Ford seperately, it comes with the latch and handle.

Dorman sells the cable seperately. Is the Dorman cable acceptable or should I go with the Ford parts?

I prefer the Ford parts but I don't feel like paying $140.00 if all I need is the cable. Was the cable available seperately from Ford? If so, any have a part number?

Thanks

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
I personally think dormans are a hit and miss. In my plow truck I needed one and the first 2 broke within a few days, the third one is still holding up. This was 2 yrs ago tho.... I prefer ford parts for quality and reliability a lot of the aftermarket stuff is pure crap

·
Registered
1997 F-250 HD 7.3 PSD Auto
142 Posts
I don't know if I can explain this but I`ll try. I`ve done it many times and it works. Cut head off 1/4 bolt cut threads off also just save shoulder between head and threads about 3/4 of an inch. Cut slot about half way through this piece put it on cable in front of nubbin to shorten cable. I than cut a piece of 1/8 steel cut to fit behind handle ass. than weld in place, drill for handle ass. don`t cover slot for hook on handle ass. Hope you can figure this out

·
Registered
142 Posts
Next time I have a door apart I`ll show pictures.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This is a very simple fix I just am not very good at putting it in words. If someone could call I`ll explain than you post it. 530 598 1098

·
Registered
74 Posts
My door handle was getting harder and harder to engage, almost as if the cable was stretched beyond normal operating limits. I eventually snapped the handle.

Purchased a new handle and dug into my problem. Cleaning and lubing the mechanism inside the door and the latch was all that was required to ensure it operated normally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts