Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been fighting a vibration for awhile. The vibration comes in at 40mph and up.

I supported the truck on jack stands and ran it. The vibration was there with the tires on. So I took the tires off and the vibration was still there, so I came to the conclusion that it's drive angle related.

So I took some measurements on the driveshaft angles. This is what I came up with.
- Transfer case = 6*
- Front and rear driveshafts = 7.5*-8*
- Pinion = 10*

I dropped the carrier bearing 1/2". Used the 1/4" per 1" of lift.

The factory pinion offset from the spring perches is 5*. The traction blocks I have, I believe a 5* taper to them. With the traction blocks, the pinion can't rotate under power, it's locked in. The vibration is worse under power climbing an incline.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the taper on the traction blocks is wrong. I should either flat blocks or a positive 1* on the blocks.

Opinions.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
545 Posts
can anyone else shed some light on this one?

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
It could be anything,..tires, wheel, bearings, driveline...

if it's the driveline, then OUO(One Up Offroad), offers a fix for you.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Have you looked at the carrier bearing a wore out will cause vibration.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Prob already cheked this, but how are your universal joints?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I talked to a local 4x4 guru and he said you just need to worry about the shaft going to the diff from the carrier bearing, make sure it's down 2* steeper then the diff, so when it torques up it levels out.

you said your pinion is at 10*, and your rear shaft is at 7.5-8*, according to what the guy told me today you should have the shaft at 12*

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i had a vibration on mine and it was the carrier bearing going out.

·
All Jacked up on Mt Dew!!
148 Posts
I had a bad vibration on mine at higher speeds, and it turned out to be the slip yoke was wore out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts