Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 F250 7.3 Diesel. Problem is most likely the water pump. All coolant is gone from the reservoir. I need to drive about 8 miles to have repaired. Will I have any problems?

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
flat bed tow 100 bucks? maybe free if you have towing insurance

driving with no coolant damage potential in the thousands

atleast fill the system with distilled and check it on the way

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Pleeeeese do not drive with no coolant. Fill it up then drive it the leak can't be that bad!

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
How long does it take to empty the reservoir? And this is a leak that's ending up on the ground, right? It would almost have to be, that's a lot of water to end up in the pan or out the tail pipe from the little bit you've described.

Sounds like you just discovered the problem and haven't had much in the way of diagnostics. Start out by filling the degas back up and running the truck. Whatever is wrong will call attention to and introduce itself in short order.

As for getting to the shop, there's no reason you'd be risking anything as long as you take precautions and rule out any other issue. If you're starting out cold you'll probably get about half those 8 miles covered before the thermostat opens and you start building up pressure anyway. Once that happens you'll immediately see any leaks. Just take along a gallon of distilled and top it off somewhere around the half way point. Obviously just don't let it run dry.

·
Registered
320 Posts
All good advice, but i will add this.. Do you have any idea how much antifreeze is in the system? If not, and or it takes more then just a gal of water to top the system off, consider adding anti freeze to the mix if need be.. Dont know where you are, or what the weather is, but the last thing you need is for the truck to be sitting around this time of year with weak or no anti freeze in the system, while waiting to be repaired.. Never know what you will run into with mechanic shops, and your looking at 10 dollars for a little piece of mind..

·
Strokin all day
1,084 Posts
Yeah fill it back to cold fill range. If it takes more than a gallon use distilled. Let it run and if it's really bad you'll see coolant pissing out somewhere. That'll find your problem. If it isn't too bad a leak then drive it to the shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts