Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have my pyro in the dp. I want to drill and tap in the manifold but has anyone done this while the manifold is still on? I read somewhere someone drilled and tapped then reached in with a magnet to make sure all the shavings are out so they don't get in the turbo. Is this a good way to do this? Has anyone done this? Writeups? Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Put grease on the drill bit which will help catch the metal shavings. Do the same thing when tapping the manifold. As far as using a magnet, thats up to you.

·
7.3 fan
271 Posts
2x not going to be much in the way of shavings anyway and they will blow out as you start it so it wont do damage to wheel.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I wouldn't grease up the drill bit... You are blocking the routes that the shavings naturally take out of the hole... That's why drill bits are shaped the way they are...

Just drill and tap. The shavings will fall in your face because you are drilling straight up.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I wouldn't grease up the drill bit... You are blocking the routes that the shavings naturally take out of the hole... That's why drill bits are shaped the way they are...

Just drill and tap. The shavings will fall in your face because you are drilling straight up.

:whs:

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts

I agree...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im not talking about packing it with grease,just a film to catch the majority of the shavings. Did that on my Cummins. But the guys are right its not going to hurt anything if shavings get in the manifold

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks guys

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hold a shop vac up to the hole when you are done, it will help to pull out the remainder.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I drilled and tapped mine from the bottom, while the engine was running. That way it would FORCEFULLY blow the shavings out of the hole

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used the shop vac.

·
Registered
510 Posts
the grease on the drill bits worked for me then a magnet then used a vacuum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts