Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Recently picked up a nice 06 250. Well maintained, 2 owner with 195k. New to the diesel world but mechanically inclined. Did the usual rotella t6, new motorcraft oil & fuel filters, blue spring, coolant flush new rotella elc, egr delete. Truck has been running & driving great. Picked up a sct x4 & loaded the tow 50 tune, drove it around for a day. Uploaded the tow 65 the next morning & truck wouldn't fire. Returned it to stock & the same. Thought maybe it was the batteries (new in December) so pulled them both & charged overnight. Swapped them the next morning & still won't start. It had given me 0 issues, stated great cold or hot & now not at all. Volts are 12.5 koeo, ficm 48, ipr jumps to 85%, icp only goes up to 375psi. Rpms while cranking were around 200. Don't know if the sct or standpipes/dummy plugs have been addressed or not. The turbo lines have the 07 updates but no idea about the rest. Where do I need to start? I think the tuner is coincidental but maybe I'm wrong? Trying to research, seems it could be very minor or major. It's strange to me as it gave no signs at all.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,166 Posts
An air test would probably tell you where the leak is, but if it were me, I would have to know for sure if the STC fitting had been replaced, and if the dummy plugs had been updated!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear that. Is it normal for that to cause a no start overnight? It had never had a hard start before.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,166 Posts
It can. The STC fitting might behave that way more often than the dummy plugs though.

Is your oil filter cap an OEM cap?

Oil level good?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, motorcraft cap & the oil is good. Maybe 1000 miles on it. It's just strange it has given no signs of anything & just wouldn't start the next day.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,166 Posts
It can also be an electrical issue w/ the IPR valve, but that isn't as common as the leaks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I got home this morning I tried to start it again. Same thing, batteries are a little weaker but the icp was in the 300's, when unplugged it showed 1350 but still no start. I have an ipr socket on the way so I guess pulling it is the next step.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,166 Posts
I think it is more likely to be a leak.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately I do too. The ipr is just the next easiest thing. I hate to order a stc fitting & sp/dp before I look to see if it needs them. #### came out of no where though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decided to go ahead & start tearing it down. Got the everything out of the way for the stc fitting & it hasn't been changed. Ipr looked fine. Screen was intact with very little trash on it. Moved when I pushed on it. Went ahead & ordered stc kit, stand pipes/dummy plugs, & turbo oil line o rings. Hopefully that will take care of it.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,166 Posts
I think that is best. The STC fitting can sometimes fail catastrophically and crack the rear cover. Doesn't happen a lot, but the repair is expensive. It is good to do even if that isn't the current cause of the low pressure.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,166 Posts
Good deal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the fitting definitely blew. Left a slight indention in the rear case. I seemed to have gotten lucky & it didn't split it. I had to tweek the branch tube to get it back together. I didn't get the turbo back on so it'll be a few days before I know if all is well.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,166 Posts
I hear that. Is it normal for that to cause a no start overnight? It had never had a hard start before.
Unfortunately I do too. The ipr is just the next easiest thing. I hate to order a stc fitting & sp/dp before I look to see if it needs them. #### came out of no where though.
Kudos to you for rolling up your sleeves and diving in. A lot of people aren't willing to do that. That is EXACTLY why I posted that "I would want to know for sure that the fitting had been replaced"!! You certainly dodged an expensive bullet it seems.

A lot of people want conclusive proof before spending the time to get to that fitting. That is a hard thing to offer over the internet.

Be sure to put dabs silicone at the HPOP cover corners (at the rear cover joint) before tightening down the cover. This is to prevent future oil leaks. You can do a search and find videos showing where to apply it.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put the silicone on there. Got the hpop back in & the cover on. Yall say a little prayer & keep your fingers crossed for me. I hopefully will get it back together tomorrow. I'm hoping that that tweeked branch tube doesn't cause me any issues.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
It shouldn’t. Most of them do that when they blow apart and I’ve never had to change the branch tubes because of a blown STC fitting.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,166 Posts
I put the silicone on there. Got the hpop back in & the cover on. Yall say a little prayer & keep your fingers crossed for me. I hopefully will get it back together tomorrow. I'm hoping that that tweeked branch tube doesn't cause me any issues.
Use a silicone that is oil resistant!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts