Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DR Signature Series 7500 shocks VS Bilstein 5100s - who's tried them both and what do you think of them?

DR 7500s around ~$100 each and the Bilstein 5100s ~$77 each so not a real big difference cost wise. But how about the ride/handling?

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Are the Bilstein's valved for the SD or generic valving. I know DR has custom valving for thier kits.

· Registered
2,189 Posts
Bilstein still has SD specific shocks (DR developed the valving back when they used Bilstein in their kits).

When DR started on their own shocks they had more freedom to try different things, etc.. So, the valving a little more fine tuned on the DR's.

Main difference is the construction and finish....DR's shock body is clear coated to held it hold up to the elements, also DR uses nitrosteel shafts which are harder than the chrome shafts used by Bilstein and also hold up longer under salt spray tests.

Is is for a stock height truck?
I don't think the DR's will work on a stock truck......too long.

· Registered
2,189 Posts
No, the 2" mini spring lifts underneath the spring....so shock eye to shock eye measurement remains the same as stock.

I suppose if your truck sat tall with the stock spring it *may be* possible to run them. All depends on what your eye to eye measurement is right now. The smallest DR for the 99-04 trucks is for 3-6" lifts, so it's very unlikely that they will work.

· Registered
91 Posts
Do they use salt on the roads where you are at? I have 2 sets on 5100's, one for the winter (rusted and look like crap), and 1 for the summer (kind of holding up). If the DR's would have been available when I did this I would have gone w/ them.

· Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do they use salt on the roads where you are at? I have 2 sets on 5100's, one for the winter (rusted and look like crap), and 1 for the summer (kind of holding up). If the DR's would have been available when I did this I would have gone w/ them.
Northeast corridor - Northern NJ - They use so much salt you can't tell if the road is covered with snow or salt half of the time!!! Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.