Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a person empty out the dpf? Like can it be chipped out or something? I just want to try to keep the warranty on my truck. I have a service plan and the dealership does all the oil changes so I dont want to go through the hassle of taking the dpf off and putting it back on every 5000 miles....

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Can a person empty out the dpf? Like can it be chipped out or something? I just want to try to keep the warranty on my truck. I have a service plan and the dealership does all the oil changes so I dont want to go through the hassle of taking the dpf off and putting it back on every 5000 miles....
Yes, you can gut it out.....but just remember that doing that is not garunteeing that you keep your warranty intact. Also, the DPF is a pretty large chunk of change.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have found used ones for around 300 bucks... I wonder how hard it would be to empty that bad boy?? has anyone ever done this before?

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
i would think as long as its big enough to put a pipe through you would be good?
a BFH and a solid tube with some anger should get it done i would think, lol...what about trimming off both sides with a grinder and try prying it apart, or what have you, in 2 sections? doing a couple tack welds to hold in place and the heat shield should hide alot.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
i would think as long as its big enough to put a pipe through you would be good?
a BFH and a solid tube with some anger should get it done i would think, lol...what about trimming off both sides with a grinder and try prying it apart, or what have you, in 2 sections? doing a couple tack welds to hold in place and the heat shield should hide alot.
John and I thought about this, but if I end up gutting mine I am just going to hollow it completely out to reduce the weight as much as possible. I want to put my stack back on, but I don't want to do it unless I appear legal on the road. :pullover:

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
you are pretty much SOL with the stack jeff LOL !
i was with a few friends i used to road race with and there is talk of having check points for inspection for straight pipes and non carb stuff!
they have done it in the passed and that is a BIG fine!
i am thinking of doing this as well, as far as visual.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
you are pretty much SOL with the stack jeff LOL !
i was with a few friends i used to road race with and there is talk of having check points for inspection for straight pipes and non carb stuff!
they have done it in the passed and that is a BIG fine!
i am thinking of doing this as well, as far as visual.
Yea, thats why I won't be putting it on without a gutted DPF. GA isn't as bad as Cali on diesel's and straight pipes

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was one of the thoughts I had was to cut it open and then weld it back up,,, I am going to talk to my dealer and see what happens if they dont see the dpf when they change the oil.

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
i have had oil changes with mine off and had repairs done that werent engine related with the straight pipe also.
in my eyes they cant deny you warranty when warrabty work is not being done, BUT all dealers are different.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm not sure about your dealer Kevin, but mine doesn't care if the dpf is gone. As long as they don't have to do warranty work. In that case they want it tuned back to stock anyway and a gutted dpf won't work. So I would think keeping a complete dpf in a shed or garage that can be swapped out when needed would be an easier option?

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
swapping the dpf is pretty easy, i would recomend a full exhaust, but it would kinda suck to do every 5k miles. I have heard that you can use a piec of 3.5 inch pipe with a sharp edge on it to hollow it out, just by using it kinda like a hole saw, i have never tried it though.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This was one of the thoughts I had was to cut it open and then weld it back up,,, I am going to talk to my dealer and see what happens if they dont see the dpf when they change the oil.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
I dont mean to jack the thread but what is the easiest and quickest DPF delete to install and put back on for the dealer?
Flo-Pro DPF/DOC delete is pretty simple. I prefer a full exhaust because it allows you to take the entire stock system out together, and then install it back in together as one kit. Either way, its not that bad of a job. Let me know if I can help!

·
Sponsor w/out Blue name
1,503 Posts
so for the warranty side of things.. i agree a full exhaust would be easier. but im sure just taking the dpf off and on between times would be easier than a full exhaust..? just asking cause im about to buy a 6.4 one of these days and warranty is good :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was looking at the DPF and CAT delete pipe because I felt it would be less time to change it out. I have installed the SCT Livewire and love the power it has added but I feel that the DPF delete and a SB intake will truly help. I have not seen any increase in mileage. This is my first Ford and it seems to me that the turbo does not spool up as fast off the line as my dodge used to. Is this normal?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts