Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting an efi live tune tomorrow, im planning to do the dpf/cat delete myself today/tonight. my question is the shop who is doing the tune is aprox 4-5 kms away (a couple miles) is it safe for me to get it there without the tune on. i know it will throw a few codes but my question is will it run all the way there and will it start back up after i get it there? also the shop recomended doing an egr blocker plate which sounds good but to be honest i dont really know much about it or what it will do. hopefully someone can shed some light on this more me.
thanks in advance

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
I wouldnt run it like that because you never know when it will go into regen. The egr blocker plates are good if you want to keep warranty, but the coolers still have coolant flowing through them and could possibly fail. I would do a complete egr delete with a cfm+ elbow.. Since when did EFI live come out for 6.4s?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so what would happen if it did go into regen in the short drive over? the only thing im really worried about is it not making it there or not starting after i turn it off. as far as efi live having a tune for the 6.4's im not sure if they do or not. the shop is writing a custom tune and as far as i know thats the software they use. are these egr coolers prone to fail? sorry for all the questions but im kinda in the dark about all this and ive spent a lot of money on this truck and i just want to find out as much as i can.
thanks again

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
I dont think it is going to matter whether you go into regen or not on the way over if you are not going with a reputable tuner your going to have problems either way

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im pretty sure the custom tune will be just fine, thats all this guy does and he writes tunes for diablo. he did my brothers duramax over a year ago and that thing is insane and he hasnt had a single problem. the shop is very well known and is highly recommended by the guys at mbrp.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would do the programming first...if for some reason it fails to load properly, you have to remove the exhaust compnents again.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If hes using diablosport then yea, but i still would go for one of the big 3 that have been tuning these trucks for over 3 years, but thats just my opinion

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well everything is done, the fuel mileage is way up and the truck is running amazing. im super happy with how everything went. i waited until the tune was done to pull off the dpf/cat. no sensors broke and everything was pretty easy to do

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
So what kind of programmer is this on? Did they just tune your truck and you have no way to return to stock or other tune besides going back to them? What kind of fuel mileage are you seeing (hand calculated) the dash will be wayyyy off. Now get some track times too and a video

1 - 17 of 17 Posts