Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a dp tuner f6 chip and recently upgraded to ats 4r100 transmission and while while in 80 economy position transmission is upshifting/downshifting harder than normal. Called DP tuner for advice and was told chip need to be re tuned at a cost of $265. I did not buy chip directly from DP tuner but through a member here on PSN. Questions:

First, Curious what is the general opinion is about DP tuner charging fees to have chip re licensed in my name. $90 to re-burn tunes and rest of the $265 s license fees........

Second, What is the overall advantages/disadvantages of a Dp tuner vs a TS style chip??

Thanks.

·
Registered
305 Posts
dp chip you get dp tunes... ts chip pretty much everyone can burn on it.. id try and contact the person you bought it from and have him send it in for reburn, unless you plan on making changes and tweaks in the future then id go ahead and get it in your name, id PM [email protected] and see if theres anything he can do for you.... or just get a TS and choose someone to burn on it...

·
Registered
231 Posts
I currently have a dp tuner f6 chip and recently upgraded to ats 4r100 transmission and while while in 80 economy position transmission is upshifting/downshifting harder than normal. Called DP tuner for advice and was told chip need to be re tuned at a cost of $265. I did not buy chip directly from DP tuner but through a member here on PSN. Questions:

First, Curious what is the general opinion is about DP tuner charging fees to have chip re licensed in my name. $90 to re-burn tunes and rest of the $265 s license fees........

Second, What is the overall advantages/disadvantages of a Dp tuner vs a TS style chip??

Thanks.
If its a F6 they can email you tunes. If its a F5 then you have to send it to them for reburn. With the TS style chip anybody can make and reburn tunes for you. ex TW, ,NLTD , gearhead , swamps. The DP tuners only can run DP tunes nobody else. I went from a DP-tuner to a PHP Hydra same concept as the TS-style chip anybody can tune it but the advantage of the hydra is you don't have to wait for the chip to get reburnt like the TS chip They email the tunes to you and download the tunes to the chip and you good to go. Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
IMO sell it and get a TS chip..TW IMO best tuner for a 7.3 esp trans shifts.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I purchased my 01 f350 included was a TS style chip from BTS with 3 tunes installed. I had some tunes added by BTS and Brians Truck Shop practically did all work for free. Chip worked great and I was new to the Diesels thinking the DP tuner would be a great improvement over the TS chip. I was wrong.....

I still believe that if a product is sold initially by the manufacturer then resold there should not be a re licensing fee as it has been sold/paid for already, am I wrong???

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
When I purchased my 01 f350 included was a TS style chip from BTS with 3 tunes installed. I had some tunes added by BTS and Brians Truck Shop practically did all work for free. Chip worked great and I was new to the Diesels thinking the DP tuner would be a great improvement over the TS chip. I was wrong.....

I still believe that if a product is sold initially by the manufacturer then resold there should not be a re licensing fee as it has been sold/paid for already, am I wrong???

Thanks.
Once the License for the F6 is set your the truck it can't be used on another truck. The new license allows you to be able to use the F6 utility for downloading new tunes for your truck to the F6. This is paid to a provider for the F6 utility each time we need a need new license. EFI live does a similar license fee for each VIN you need to tune.

I realize your position and wish we could set it up differently, but we didn't make that call.

~Diane

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
If you need a TS chip, I will sell you one of my old spares for CHEAP... Then just sell your DP craper and move on...

Or pick up the Hydra chip and never look back.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Once the License for the F6 is set your the truck it can't be used on another truck. The new license allows you to be able to use the F6 utility for downloading new tunes for your truck to the F6. This is paid to a provider for the F6 utility each time we need a need new license. EFI live does a similar license fee for each VIN you need to tune.

I realize your position and wish we could set it up differently, but we didn't make that call.

~Diane
Diane, so what would price be for a re-tune and transfer tuner into my name, etc?
Thanks.
Rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.