Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
:whs: and is it bad to drive with? (if you forget)

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
I don't have the DP-Tuner one but I have one from Matt at Gearhead and it makes a big difference. But my exhaust is still load at idle so sometimes i still have to shut the truck off.

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
It just retards the heck out of the timing and the engine will pretty much sound like a gasser. Absolutely no injector clatter at all.

The engine can kind of load up like that as they can't burn all of the fuel. Mine starts pouring white smoke after 2 minutes or so. Not really worth the trouble imo.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I wouldn't bother if you have split shot injectors. It supposed to be better if you have single shots. When I live tuned with Jody a few weeks back, he adjusted it to where it's not really worth having. The white smoke is gone. It took a little bit of the clatter out, but not as good as the old version I had from him. The old version was probably doing more harm than good though. I did drive around with it in campgrounds (<20mph).

I don't know what he's sending out now.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I have it on with single shots and it does help with the clatter. It is a good deal for the right use.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have it on my 02 and it does help quite a bit.. :fordoval:

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
not to de-rail too much but since switching to 1st shift for work I have to start my truck up at 5:45am so that it warms up enough and everything, my question is would a "drive-thru" tune be ideal for me to use? for say 15 mins? I dont wanna piss of the people around me this coming summer when windows are open lol

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
not to de-rail too much but since switching to 1st shift for work I have to start my truck up at 5:45am so that it warms up enough and everything, my question is would a "drive-thru" tune be ideal for me to use? for say 15 mins? I dont wanna piss of the people around me this coming summer when windows are open lol
I would for sure not use it that long and for sure not on a cold motor.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
I kinda figured that would be the biggest problem.......... the girl next door said she doesnt hear my truck but Im unsure of the other people.

its not that loud right now but I guess Im just being paranoid because when nothing else is making noise that early my truck sounds loud lol

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So everyone agrees that it does quiet the engine. I can't imagine having to use this tune more than a minute at a time just to place an order, so how bad can that be for the engine?

I would also think with that much down tuning that you wouldn't drive too far without realizing you are in the wrong tune.

·
Buffalo Diesel
280 Posts
Plug it in, then you don't have to idle at all really.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
So everyone agrees that it does quiet the engine. I can't imagine having to use this tune more than a minute at a time just to place an order, so how bad can that be for the engine?

I would also think with that much down tuning that you wouldn't drive too far without realizing you are in the wrong tune.

Or you can just turn it off... But thats just me. I didnt care for the white smoke.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

I have used it in my 03 EX many times for over 2 1/2 years now with no ill effects. I don't drive in it except to pull around so the person behind me can pull up. I switch it back to my DD after that. The longer you are in it the more it will white smoke, so just switch it back to your DD and it won't smoke. It was't made to be driven in as a daily driver or used for long periods of time.

Diane

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
Bob, warming up your truck like that is not good for the engine, the environment, your neighborhood relations, or your pocket book.

Start the truck up and just drive slowly. I let mine idle it's way down the street on cold mornings.

What you are doing is simply not needed.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
:whs:

I live about 2 miles from a main road. I start my truck, putt out to the main road at about 25 to 30 MPH. By the time I get to the main road, the needle is moving. Easy on it to the freeway (about another mile). Hit the on ramp and it is game on.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Guys with oil temp gauges how long is it taking to get up to full operating temp?

I have found that especially when its cold out it take a lot longer than I would have figured. Very diffent from the coolant temps which the thermostat takes care of heating thing up to temp quickly. I do not run it hard until my oil is up to temp. I live in the stick about 20 miles from town. I think I'm about half way before that oil is fully up to temp.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Bob, warming up your truck like that is not good for the engine, the environment, your neighborhood relations, or your pocket book.

Start the truck up and just drive slowly. I let mine idle it's way down the street on cold mornings.

What you are doing is simply not needed.
see when I first got my truck an old family friend who used to drive large cars told me to atleast let it warm up for 10 mins so fluids are moving.

Im still learning everything I can so I will change my habits. thanks guys

1 - 20 of 21 Posts