Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is going to be to get my stock downpipe off the 04' 6.0 any tips would be appreciated?:bowfast:

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Best I can remember, it wasn't getting it out that sucked. It was getting it back in and lined up. What are you going in with?

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Now that ya mention it Adam, that's exactly the tool I used to get mine out. Kinda fun! :evil:

·
Still learning
368 Posts
Long sleeve shirt, BEER, and a sawzall. May want to sawzall before you hit the beer to hard.

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
Make sure you soak the clamp area on the turbo to break it loose. Mine was stuck on there good after 89,000 miles. Also, a Sawzall with a good blade will be your friend as everyone else said.

-French

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you guys for all the pointers. stroked444 and myself are working on this together. Its actually my truck. With that said, i am by no means new to engines, and engine theory. However, i have not messed around with too many diesels and was wondering, what would the advantage be of running the full 4in turbo back rather than (and much easier), doing a flanged 3in to 4in i.d. at the factory catalytic converter connection? Also, will removing the cat. and muffler cause any "lack of back perssure" issuses? From what i know about N/A gas engines, most, depending on cam selection and "powerband" location, require back pressure to achive desired engine manners. But to me, the turbo SHOULD? provide more than enough? Am i thinking right?

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Truck gets ALL the back pressure it needs from the turbo. I run a 4 inch DP. Truck sounds like a freaking jet. Most will say that a 3.5 is all ya need, and their probably right, I just got a deal on mine. So, take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ah...good deal. Thats what i thought but just wanted to make sure. I appreciate it. Would you happen to know the limit to the 3.5 DP? (for future planning) =)

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
I don't think you will have a problem with a DD. , with 3.5. There's guys on here with WAY more mods than me running a 3.5. Don't think they run any hotter than I do. Like I said, I just got my exhaust dirt cheap, it came with a 4 inch. If not for that I would have a 3.5 as well. 4 is a PITA to get right up against the firewall. Invented some new cuss words when I did it.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
I have often found that loosening the clamp a few turns before you cut the pipe with the sawzall helps tremendously in getting a stuck clamp off. It also helps to keep the nut from stripping coming off. I dont know why, but it always seemed to want to destroy the nut if it was tight when cutting first. It didn't matter if the truck was brand new or a few years old.

·
Word
608 Posts
I run a MBRP 4" exhaust (which comes with a 3.5" downpipe ). Take everything off all the way up to the downpipe, cut the downpipe IN FRONT of the transmission crossmember as high up as you can...the only thing that SUCKS ASS is that the stock downpipe is wrapped in about 1.5" of insulation which makes it very tight to pull out from in between the firewall and engine, it helps tremendously if you remove the transmission dipstick tube, just 1 nut and it pulls right out, makes life so much easier, with the 3.5" going back in is a breeze, fits right in no problem...4" downpipes are a B--ch...

·
Registered
81 Posts
ok if i wanted to take stock down pipe off for repair reasons it is a pita i removed the tranny cross member now i have to lift the front of the truck this is a 05 f350 4x4 its high but not enough the pipe hits the ground and wont come out so i guess i need two jacks one under tranny one under truck and lift each a little at a time

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Another vote for cutting the DP, otherwise you will have to drop the trans crossmember and possible jack the truck up like turbodieselny said.

Make sure to spray some PB blaster on the V-band clamp, even if it looks nice and clean it can still snap pretty easy, learned that one the hard way.

I have a 4" downpipe and 5" from there out, no issues with backpressure that I have seen in 45k and sounds great. Also didn't feel like I lost any low end power compared to what some said about the 5" systems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts