Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting rid of the stock downpipe and really don't want to be knocking the firewall in to fit it. My truck is listed in my sig, is a 3" DP as simple as take off and bolt on?

·
Senior Veteran Member
937 Posts
It is not that bad to do with a sawsall. Cut off at bottom about halfway up or so, then cut off just past the bent part everyone calls the "cobra head" and it will come out easy.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
When you install the downpipe, you're not really knocking the firewall in to do it. Usually all it takes is folding over the pinch weld (slicing the pinch weld makes it easier to fold over. When I did mine I also had to slightly indent the new downpipe to keep it from contacting the passenger side uppipe. Cheers!

·
Senior Veteran Member
937 Posts
I would like to go to a 4" but I am not sure it would fit plus there is the point at which it attaches to turbo that will need to be changed unless the turbo has been changed to a SD turbo IIRC.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Generally a 4" downpipe almost requires a body lift and some major firewall waork to fit. You can get the 3" downpipes that transition to 4" though. Cheers!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 3 that transitions into a 4 and it hits the firewall when you let off the gas pedal. It annoying. I have tried to beat the pinch weld down like 3 times

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
Would a 3" DP be too small for a 38R ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts