Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting an engine in my van that was originally in an f series with a manual. To bolt up the 4r100 I know I need the adapter plate and the longer dowels. Where can I find the longer dowels? The ford dealer couldn't find a part number for them.

And then how in the hell do I get the old shorter dowels out? I sprayed them with penetrant and let it sit overnight. Vice grips and a big screwdriver isn't working at all. Any advice or tips?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I would try a little heat. Like a small propane or map gas tourch should do the trick.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that too. Just went and got some bigger vice grips, no luck.

·
Registered
403 Posts
There is a specific tool for removing those dowels that I believe is available through snap-on. Someone else suggested drill and tap to install a zerk fitting in the backside and force the dowel out with grease.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will probably drill and tap the front of the dowel and use a slide hammer. But that is some hard ass steel the dowels are made of. 2 hours with vice grips and they still look new!

I did think about drilling through the back, but this shouldn;t be that friggin hard!!!!

Thanks.
Ryan

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
The Ford part number you need is 20640-R1 they are 2 1/4 inches long, they come 1 to a package.
Most parts guys don't know what the foot notes in the computer are for:doh:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Ford part number you need is 20640-R1 they are 2 1/4 inches long, they come 1 to a package.
Most parts guys don't know what the foot notes in the computer are for:doh:
Thanks!! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just removed mine by putting an 1/8" notch half way down the dowel with a grinder then drive them right out with chisel. Be sure to use smaller beater like a ball peen hammer that way you get the most swing in the tight area

1 - 8 of 8 Posts