Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got pulled over pulln a empty trailer. made me unhook the trailer. used mobile scales and said my truck weighs 8805 with me in it. im 255. my truck is a 2001 7.3 4 door short bed with a empty bed. i call bull#### i have a 9000 plate but i have a ticket for 275 bucks now. my 2004 4 door 6.0 longbed weighs 7400. fukn queers. got pulled over cuz they said i was unloaded and there was straps on the trailer so i was usen it to make money,i was going to pick up some wood from lowes.pricks!

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
Did you know that there is federal 3% grace weight law ? Meaning your allowed 3% times the gvwr for a full tank of fuel. Explain that your tank was empty when you loaded . You filled up after you loaded. It's under Section 387.303 of the Motor Carrier Act of 1980. Fight it , you'll win .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
guess im dumb. been a truck driver for 8 years and have yet 2 hear that law. the state boy was lookn 2 make a ticket not be a cop. he seen my cd player had a flip up screen and wanted 2 give me a ticket for obstruction of view also. diks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I weighed my truck on our company scales, full of fuel and just me in it, bed was empty 7,500# even. Ex cab, short bed.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Fight it,

when were the scales last certified?

my 02 extended cab long bed with a full tank, right up the filler neck ~40 gallons was 7800 i believe and thats including me, tool box full of tools, toolbox in the bed with 15 gallons fuel, chains, oil, filters, etc.

and is'nt your trucks GVRW 9900lbs?

·
Lurker...
553 Posts
my '02 with me and half a tank of fuel was 7,450. It's a supercab shortbox...

·
just a welding fool.
1,097 Posts
what blows my mind is the explanation for making money because of the straps...

no one up here questions stuff like that. i had camp trailer tags on my 20' flatbed trailer, and that had a rack for steel, welder and cable.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Here's the deal: You can written-up for any reason, ANY REASON!!! I can't stress that enough. Dirty headlights, dirty window, ugly car whatever!

The prik is counting on you paying the ticket VS going to court and wasting a days wages.

Depending on the court fighting it might not work, the slow econ is decreasing dismissals and they aren't going to stop spending your $ for 5 guys to hold 1 shovel so...

See if you can get ahold of the county attorney and have some of it reduced to save some points. I doubt they'll throw it out but getting it reduced might help.

Next time 1 of those local cop charities calls and asks for a donation do it! put the sticker where it can be seen buy a cop close enough to read your plate and unless you run somebody over you'll never get another ticket. Pay now or pay later! Ask me how I know. :doh:

·
28 cent #2
2,874 Posts
My truck weighed in a the last pull under 8000 and thats with 75lbs of traction bars, pulling hitch, full tool box, and a full tank of fuel. I weigh 200. Some thing was up with those scales. If you truck weighs that much hell you couldnt even pull at a truck pull haha.

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
Did you know that there is federal 3% grace weight law ? Meaning your allowed 3% times the gvwr for a full tank of fuel. Explain that your tank was empty when you loaded . You filled up after you loaded. It's under Section 387.303 of the Motor Carrier Act of 1980. Fight it , you'll win .
.......................................Uh HUH.....................:pullover:

·
Registered
531 Posts
My truck weights 7140# with 1/2 tank of fuel.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fight it,

when were the scales last certified?

my 02 extended cab long bed with a full tank, right up the filler neck ~40 gallons was 7800 i believe and thats including me, tool box full of tools, toolbox in the bed with 15 gallons fuel, chains, oil, filters, etc.

and is'nt your trucks GVRW 9900lbs?
it says 8800

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Am I missing something here? Why are you getting a ticket for your empty truck weighting too much? How would you have any control over that?

·
Registered
130 Posts
If I remember correctly I had a choice when I registered my truck. There were 2 weight ratings I could have registered under.
I opted for the heavier one so I could tow with out much concern.

The other rating I would have probably not been able to carry a 2x4 let alone my 5th wheel.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Take it to a quarry or a feed store and get it wieghed for free to make sure,either way its still bullsh*t.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Take it to a quarry or a feed store and get it wieghed for free to make sure,either way its still bullsh*t.
I would find a DOT weigh station that's not real busy, see if they will weigh it. Beat the ticket with an official DOT scale.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts