Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to perform some repairs on my plastic door panels. Some of the mounting tabs have broken off. Any suggestions on the best method.

I plan to go with JB weld as it seems to adhere well and is durable.

Thanksgiving to all,

~DR

·
Team Shade-Tree Mechanic
635 Posts
I don't have the slightest idea, but if you figure it out please post up some details and pics please

·
Registered
947 Posts
Roger that, :whs:

Mine rattles every time I hit one bump.. Mostly due to the window trim bouncing around.. then the black plastic rivets broke, some of them any way..

Can't find a place to buy the rivets, and No clue as to what to do for the window trim bouncing around

But pics and ideas on solutions would be great:bowfast:

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
They make a plastic welder. Kinda like a soldering iron and plastic strips you "weld" them in like solder

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is tan. It is in very good shape, just a little repair work is needed.

I got some of the plastic retaining tabs at pep boys, a/zone/oreillys, don't remember which. I think pep boys had the best selection.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm.. I wonder which is better, Permatex or JB? The plastic is difficult to adhere to. Hot glue did not stick...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Get the plastic epoxy the stuff I have used kinda eats at the plastic and really adheres the 2 parts.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Just broke a 'christmas tree' retainer on a panel in my kids mustang and I'm pissed....grrrr How did the plastic weld stuff work out? The adhesives I have don't have 'teeth' on the interior trim material. Thanks!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need to scuff up the plastic. It's best to have a rough surface to bond to.

JB weld works great.

It's a frustrating project.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts