Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 F350 with the 2011 nose/door conversion someone put on. The windows and locks work but I'm working on getting the little stuff (mirrors, dome light ect). The dome lights don't work with the door open because the plug was left unplugged due to its not the correct switch for the early truck wiring. I figured I'll just get the correct plug splice to fit the newer switch, should be a simple fix. Ford decided to switch the polarity on the switches in the newer trucks so now the door closed, the light is on, open its off :oops:. Looking around various boards to see if an older switch will fit this newer latch hasn't turned anything up. Is there a switch with the old polarity that will fit this latch or do I have to change the whole thing? TIA

·
Registered
179 Posts
Try swapping the wires.
12 volt is reversible polarity (in switches anyway). Most electrical in modern vehicles is "ground switched", which means the switch is always powered, when you engage contact "activate the switch" you contact ground and complete the circuit.
In your case, I'm guessing, the light always has power, the door switch is the ground. When you wire the switch, you need one wire from the dome light and one to body. This could be the exact opposite of course. If you have the wires backwards, you get opposite results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, i did try that with the same result. The switch is working fine, just works opposite. I'll try an older switch and see if it fits in the latch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts