Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have the textured black door handles, but prefer the look of the smooth painted handles. Can you sand and paint them the desired color, or should I buy the factory smooth handles. :psn:

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Yes you can sand and paint the factory textured handles, and use a filler primer to smooth them out before they're painted. But personally I'd recommend checking a junk yard for some excursion handles, or possibly getting the smooth ones from maybe ebay if you can get a deal on a new set. But if it were between sanding down the factory textured ones, and buying the excursion handles from ford I'd sand down the textured ones.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input PSD trav and TrailerHauler, I assumed they would came primered and would have to be painted. I just wasn't sure if it's worth sanding them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Buy smooth ones, either from the dealer or ebay then paint them. I sanded the textured ones and it is very time consuming. I would have been better off buying smooth ones.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I got my smooth.handles when I did mine for 65 bucks shipped through carpartswholesale.com when I did mine.

Chad

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The tailgate handles are never painted like the door handles. My '03 Sport package has painted door handles, but the tailgate handle is black. I've seen guys that paint their tailgate handle and it doesn't look right.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I bought all 4 door handles for my truck from Ford painted white. They did not offer the tailgate handle painted thou. Had to do that one myself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ptm my tailgate handle and it matches the truck perfectly. You can get smooth tailgate handles on ebay, or google them and they will come up. And no, ptm tailgate handles does not look bad. It is the same as ptm door handles.

·
Lost refugee from TDS
34 Posts
I bought the Excursion handles, already painted gloss black, directly from Ford. I'm surprised they are only offered in smooth prime now, but I believe you. Before I bothered taking on sanding and painting, I would double trippppple check on parts availablitily throughout the nation. Some dealer somewhere got stuck with a set of handles that some customer decided not to spring for after ordering.

Don't forget that King Ranch, Harley, Platinum, and Lariat LE versions of the Super Duty were offered from the factory with smooth painted handles. Get the VINs of those bad boys and keep checking. Sanding and priming and painting is a PIA. Worth the money in my opinion to buy them done by the factory.

·
Lost refugee from TDS
34 Posts
Might need a flex agent mixed into the paint as well, as the handles as well as the cups flex a bit, depending on how or who handles them.

Also, if you have a black truck, be aware that painted handle buckets will eventually get fingernail scratches... depending on what kind of nails the girlfriend or spouse (or both?) have.

Textured unpainted handles don't show these scratches as much.

Chrome doesn't show them at all I don't think... but chrome isn't for everybody. It wasn't for me at least.

I'd take a moment to consider the cost of the paint, reducer, primer, plastic adhesion promoter, flex agent, the labor of sanding, the lack of a temperature controlled spray booth, and the time involed in the effort... and hand the job over to a body shop. Maybe gather a few other parts you want color coated as well. Perhaps the windshield cowling, the bumper valance, the outside rearview mirrors, headache rack... enough for them to spray out the minimum amount of material they had to buy to mix your color.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts