Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so i have an 01 crew cab that when i shut the truck off and take the key out the door dings and my stereo stays on (after market been installed for 2 weeks no problems). I pulled my ignition cylinder and noticed a broken black plastic clip on the rim of the cylinder housing, it has a black/pink wire attached to it. I searched and found stuff to do with the door ding but not the stereo. I pulled a 5 amp fuse (#8) and everything stopped, but as soon as i put it in everything starts dinging and playing music again.

My questions to you are...is that broken holder/wire my problem, if so where can i tie it into to make it work like normal, if that isnt my issue where should i be looking next?

thanks in advance for any help i may recieve

·
FCDP
122 Posts
That wire is for the key in ignition warning.door dinger. It grounds out to tell the module the key is out or in. I can't remember which way it goes. Touch it to ground and see when it dings. You should check the power wires going to the radio. Make sure the hot all the time and hot in run/acc wires are where they go. Does the chime change on or off if the door is open or shut?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will go check with the door, as far as the wires for the stereo it has been working correctly up until now and no one has changed the wires around so im not sure why it would be acting up now, could there be something wrong with my cylinder? tabs making contact in wrong locations?

·
FCDP
122 Posts
The cylinder no. There are two ignition switches on your truck. One mechanical and one electrical. The reason for the mech is so no one steals your truck. It controls the electrical by a rod down the shaft to the switch. Before the radio was installed when you shut the truck off did the radio stay on till you opened the door? Some trucks, don't know if yours does, have a feature that keeps the radio on and the power windows powered up until the door is open. After about 15 minutes this feature times out. Other than that nothing is coming to mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tested the door yes it shut off when i closed the door, so i took the door panel off and unhooked the pigtail for the door switch and it solved all my problems, no more dinging, must be a faulty or sticky switch, but now (not sure if its related to the unhooking of the wires) my power door locks wont work with the remote. And no as soon as i turned my key off my stereo would go off as well, stereo decided to operate normally now, not sure what i did different but ill go with it. Does me unhooking the pink/black wire in my ignition and the pigtail on the door switch mess with my keyless entry?

·
FCDP
122 Posts
Yes it should. I don't have all the info in front of me but the key in ignition wire tells the module the key is in the ignition and the door ajar switch,what you unpluged in the door,tells the module the key is in. The truck will not lock the keys in the truck if they are in the ignition. do the locks lock then unlock or just not work at all. If they don't work at all then I would try to reprogram them.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
The warning chime module works in conjunction with the drivers door switch which is why it stopped operating when you unhooked the door switch. It sounds like the GEM module which is located on the back side of the fuse box is at fault here. They are known to act up due to water leaking on them from a windshield leak that you will never see or feel unless you crawl under the dash and watch for it when it is raining heavy out. Look at the GEM module and see if there are water stains on the module. That is for the stereo by the way. The wire that broke off of your ignition cylinder is causing the dinging. When it gets grounded it sets off the dinger. Tape it up or replace the ignition cylinder and it will either stop dinging (taped up) or it will go back to working correctly with a new ignition cylinder. If you buy a new cylinder you can take it to a locksmith who can key the cylinder to your current key so as not to have to either replace your door cylinders or carry two keys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where is this GEM located, cause i did notice my windshield leaking the other day, so what your suggesting is hook the drivers door back up and just tape up the pink/black wire so it doesnt ground. then my keyless entry should work?

also what is the reprograming procedure for the locks cause they dont work at all, they work with the door toggle but do nothing at all with the remote

thanks everyone

·
FCDP
122 Posts
GEM module is on the back of the fuse panel. Should work. Cycling the key off then on 8 times fast the locks will lock then unlock. Then hit a button on the remote.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
The GEM is located on the back side of the fuse box under the dash. Since you say the windshield is leaking i will bet that is the problem with your stereo. Yes tape up the pink/black wire and the keyless entry will work again. It is the same as the keys not being in the ignition. To reprogram the keyless entry first make sure your battery is good in the remote. Then while sitting in the truck with all doors closed and accessories in the off position put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the run position and back to the lock position 8 times leaving the key in the run position on the 8th time. The door locks will cycle lock/unlock indicating you are in programming mode. Press either the lock or unlock button on the remote. If you have more than one remote press one of the buttons on that remote as well. Once you are done programming remotes simply turn the key to the off position. Test each remote to verify that they programmed correctly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well unfortunatly after some more reading and investigating sadly i have came to the conclusion that my GEM has decided to take a hike...key fobs started working randomly, stereo works fine now, power windows do not work, door dinger on the fritz. I was told by the dealer $450(cad) something and change plus about 1 hour labour for a new GEM and that i cant install it because once its in the truck it needs to be flashed, is this true ?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Yep those are all classic signs of a bad GEM. Fix your windshield leak or it will happen again. I know of guys on here who have swapped them out without flashing them and they worked fine. I would try to locate one in a junk yard before I bought a new one. There may even be someone on here who has one they are willing to part with.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Used, it has to be exactly the same as your truck, or it will need to be flashed. You should be able to change it yourself and then drive it to Ford and have it flashed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My windshield is getting re sealed tomorrow morning and as sad as it is im thinking im just gonna take it to the dealer and get them to do it so if it doesnt work right i get to chew them out.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
As sad as it is, I kind of agree. Sometimes you just gotta suck it up and deal with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts