Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Savings?? what?
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after having nothing but problem after problem since my last engine build exactly 1 year and 33,000 miles ago, I am at it again. The final straw was coolant in my oil. Probably a blown headgasket. But either way, EVERYTHING was getting tore down and inspected. So today I found out the block had several cracks in it:mad:. Boat Anchor. I had only dyno'd at 457, and used no drugs. My power combo was Swamps injectors, Gen3 big oil, a GTP38, OEM forged rods and a 99 block. So now what I have to wonder is can the block handle even 450hp for a length of time without help? Keeping in mind easily 10,000 miles of those 30 was towing a 12,000lb trailer.

So as I gaze into my crystal ball I see a main girdle, fire rings and maybe rods. And another few months of driving my 66 jeep.

·
Banned
2,283 Posts
sh!t, I hope they can hold together.....I want just about the same power and I pull 16-17K alot..... damn!

·
Savings?? what?
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would it be possible to be caused by any side effects of your WVO system?

That would be a pretty far stretch. Just about anything else I could see, Injectors, Scored cylinder walls, gummed up valves, but not sure how WVO can cause the block to crack at the main webs.

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
Well mine did that much for years. And I towed about every other weekend or so for those years.

One reason why my block is slightly filled.

:D

·
Genius, when I drink
1,295 Posts
Well mine did that much for years. And I towed about every other weekend or so for those years.

One reason why my block is slightly filled.

Is that like being kinda pregnant :poke:

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Is that like being kinda pregnant :poke:
LOL.........I hope that it can hold more Im Shooting for 450-500HP.......If this doesnt work

Cummins !!!!!!!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sorry to hear that Jason!!!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I'll keep saying this because I like sounding like a broken record.

The block and crank and PLENTY strong if the engine is put together properly and there aren' casting flaws, etc.

If the blocks and cranks were as bad as everything claims Double overtime would not be able to have run two seasons now I think on the same crank and block and heads. There are also several HEUI powered 7.3's that are holding up at big HP just fine.

·
Savings?? what?
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The block and crank and PLENTY strong if the engine is put together properly and there aren' casting flaws, etc.

If the blocks and cranks were as bad as everything claims Double overtime would not be able to have run two seasons now I think on the same crank and block and heads. There are also several HEUI powered 7.3's that are holding up at big HP just fine.
Very Good Point, thanks for bringing that up. Helps me feel a little better about dumping a bunch of money into this thing. I am considering having the new block completly deburred though. What DO has done is enough to keep me motivated.:ford: Actually got to see the truck in person in Houston. And asked about 5,000 questions.

·
Savings?? what?
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to hear that Jason!!!
I used to always say that breaking stuff is good- Gives me an excuse to upgrade it. But man, I am really pushing that a bit far. This will be my thrid motor......

·
Fat Kids Rule!
2,455 Posts

hmm i remember double over time throwing a rod in ohio when wastegates stuck on him

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
hmm i remember double over time throwing a rod in ohio when wastegates stuck on him
What does a rod have to do with stock crank, block and heads? ZERO, it wasn't a STOCK rod that failed.

Actually I don't think it threw a rod either, it bent a couple tho. Still running a stock block, crank and heads.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Very Good Point, thanks for bringing that up. Helps me feel a little better about dumping a bunch of money into this thing. I am considering having the new block completly deburred though. What DO has done is enough to keep me motivated.:ford: Actually got to see the truck in person in Houston. And asked about 5,000 questions.
Ya, there is nothing wrong with the stock hardparts other than the rods. Mostly it's the fuel system that is causing all of the problems, but for most peoples uses that can easily be avoided IMO.

I'd agree that deburing the block is a good move. I do that on most of mine just out of GP.

Shoring up the mainline also helps keep the block in one piece.

It really sucks that you had suck bad luck with the runability on that engine and then bust a block. I hope your new build goes smoothly.

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
So other then magnafluxing is there anyway to tell if you have a junk block......

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
That would be a pretty far stretch. Just about anything else I could see, Injectors, Scored cylinder walls, gummed up valves, but not sure how WVO can cause the block to crack at the main webs.
It's a stretch but WVO often has a much higher cetane rating than #2. That will advance your combustion peak if true w/ your fuel. Just a thought.

·
you want some of this?
2,922 Posts
Well, I been preaching about the need for a girdle in a couple other threads, but some were saying its not needed at that level. I disagree! If you have more than 450 or so hp, I vote it needs a girdle. Might live a while, but after seeing mine where they were fretted, and the block was cracked......??
No use taking a chance. If you want to keep it for more than a couple of years....think about it. Just my little opinion, but I learned my lesson.
Too much tq at too low rpm.:doh:

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
Mine had a good bit of cap walk. Course it was hovering between 475 and 500 for a couple years. And I don't drive it like a pu$$y, it got WOT a lot every day.

Hopefully my mains aren't already cracked... :lookaround:

·
South Atlanta white trash
495 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
So other then magnafluxing is there anyway to tell if you have a junk block......
You can do magnaflux dye penetrant, mag particle, ultrasonic, and x-ray also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts