Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 99 xlt f250 superduty with the 7.3 extended cab. the dome light staying on and the bed light. i tryed wd-40 in the door latch. nothing i dont have the door ajar light on in the dash but when i get in and close the door and put the keys in it dings like the door is open and the bed light and dome light stay on till i start to drive and get up to 15mph then they go off but when i come back to a stop they come back on i can here the relay kick on and off in the dash and everything else seems to be working fine. i dont know if it could be the switch in the door or the (gem) i also checked the fuses and the drimmer switch they seem to be fine any ideas???

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I am not sure how many doors you have but any of the doors switch failing could be a possibility..dome light comes on n o matter which door or I open or if I unlock it remotely

·
Registered
708 Posts
Just keep spraying wd40 and slamming the door, it will eventually fix it. Is is possible your door ajar light is burnt out?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Had the same issue.. Wd40 in the latches fixed it

·
Kris
236 Posts
I had this issue too. I probably slammed my door 800 times and used 60 gallons of wd-40. Definitely didn't fix it. I just unplugged my door switches. (Prefer not having lights come on with door anyways.)

Unplugging one by one would help you figure out which door is the issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same vehicle with the same problem. I tried the WD-40 but it did not work. Each of the front doors has a switch that is integral to the door latch. It could be either one or both. Locate the GEM unit under the dash. The door switch on the drivers door connects the Blk/Violet wire to ground to turn the light on. The passenger door switch connects the Blk/Pink wire to ground. Dig out the ohm meter or test light and find out which wire is grounded so you will know which door to concentrate your efforts on.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
The best way to use the wd trick i found is to have the door open and instead of opening and closing it a zillion times is spray the latch good with wd40 and just hold the outside handle like your opening the door and use a phillips screwdriver in place of the stryker in the door jamb and as long as you hold that outside handle in one hand to the open position you can use the screwdriver with the other hand and open n close the latch a hunderd times in a minute. I first did it slowly so the wd would soak in past the plunger and start freeing it up then I did it sub sonic fast and it worked great on everyu door except the drivers side and that one was so stubborn (cause its used the most) I had to pull the door panel and remove the door latch and take the button piece out of the bottom of the latch and free it up by hand but its been working great now that I spray them with wd every 5-6 months. If your dinger goes on and stays on when you turn to the acc position the front drivers door switch is the one stuck as thats the only door that will ding if the keys are left in the ignition when its shut off and or turned to the acc position when the door is open. All the others just turn the dome light off. Another thing is your radio will instantly go off when you shut the truck off if the drivers door switch is the problem as when normally working properly with the key off and engine turned off the radio if not manually turned off will stay on for approx 5 minutes or until the drivers door is opened. Well if that switch is stuck and keeping the dome lights on then as soon as the truck is shut off the radio will shut off also if left on as the gem is thinking the drivers door is open.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Theres also a way (i cant remember right now) to find out whitch door or doors is hanging up threw the odometer as you watch the value for each door as someone opens and shuts each door while all the others are closed (do one door at a time keep others shut). If the value changes slightly for the door thats being opened and shut then that switch is working properly if the value stays the same from the open position to the shut position then that switch is hanging up or a bad switch (there rarely bad most just need freed up). you have to get into the diagnostic mode in the odometer and stroll threw till you see door and it will give you a value and sop strolling then proceed with the opening and closing of each door while the others are all closed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts