Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title says, I'm doing it again. It was done 20,000 miles ago right before I bought the truck from a car lot. Can't get ahold of original mechanic so I don't know if he took heads in to be checked. What makes me question the head inspection is because after I bought the truck I found out he didn't change oil cooler, said he did a visual inspection (insert head slap). My question is...
- IF he took heads in and they were milled, can I do it again?
-Should I get all seats cut out and hardened ones put in?
-What cracks will cause heads to be unusable? (I understand there will always be micro cracking?)
-How often are 6.0 heads are cracked beyond repair?

A programmer has not been on truck since I bought it, before that point.....who knows what was on it.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
If the heads are cracked, replace them. If they have already been milled and still failed, and fail flatness check, replace them. They will usually crack allowing fuel into the cooling system. What head gaskets did he use? If they havent been milled and are not cracked, have them milled and the valves cut back to have proper installed valve stem height.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mechanic said the previous guy used black onyx gasket hence the failure. Said walls and pistons look good. Waiting to hear about heads tommorrow

Attachments

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
the infamous black onyx gasket.....man those suck

heads are prone to cracking between the glowplug hole and the exhaust valves. also in the injector cup area like said above allowing fuel to contaminate the cooling system

i would deck them if they have no cracks and go on down the road. done several 6.0 heads that have been decked before then had black onyx on them and came back and needed it again. never had any trouble with redecking, as long as they arent getting in to the valve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts