Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing lately that my truck if following behind it has began to smell a little differently than most 6 liters do. It has instead of a very sweet smell, a burnt smell to it. Anyone else experience this?

My truck has 171k miles on it so Its been through its share of abuse. All original injectors, egr deleted, all original head bolts and gaskets, Run synthetic 5w40 mobil 1 with rev x.

Enlighten me

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Do you have the CCV mod? If so...are sure the smell isn't from that?

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup i have the CCV dumped and its definitely not from that, the crank case vapor smell is awful

the 6l fume is addicting good

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes all too true... nice punchline...

but what could possibly be the problem if mine smells like its burning oil

Injectors, rings, etc?

I was cleaning up a set of core injectors to ship out and some of them (with bad o-rings) smelt kind of burnt and the rest of them smelled like good oil and fuel...

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Is it only when cold?

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coolamt levela fine, no puking or mixing with oil, no noticable oil loss at 6k intervals

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've noticed this about some of them too. It actually smells kinda good. My theory was they were all burning coolant haha.

For the record mine doesn't have the smell :)

...yet

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sweet smell isn't from burning coolant, its hard to explain, 7.3s smell very similar to the 6L.

Mine smells like its burning oil, its very weird, no smoke from the exhaust either

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Switch tunes tell me if the smell is still there tomorrow

·
Registered
571 Posts
Is it coming from the exhaust or the from the motor, my 04 had a smell, not sure of the smell, just kinda like it was burning. No leaks but I cleaned the motor with degreaser a few times to get all the old oil, grease, road grime off it and the smell start to go away little by little as I cleaned it. They get alot of build up over time. Just a thought that might help.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
drove 100 miles on the looney, and no difference.
Switch to a tow tune or return to stock. Any of the race tunes will do it. Then let me know

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
switched to stock tuning, and its worse, it just bellowed blue smoke and hazed blueish until warmed up. Smell is still there.

only does this on the stock tuning, smell is always there

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
You've got either a bad FICM or bad injectors

1 - 20 of 28 Posts