Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do tuners affect the accuracy of the overhead mpg display? I am going to look at a F250 CC SRW 4x4 where the seller says it gets 23-24mpg with an Edge tuner. I had a V-10 Excursion years ago and remember people saying that the tuners recalibrate the computer in a way that effects the readout of the overhead mpg display.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Loading a tune on the PCM does make the overhead off. Recalibrating the speedo for bigger tires won't fix the overhead readout. It will only help with hand calculating fuel mileage more accurately.

Hope this helps~

Diane

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
You can rest it by pushing both buttons at the same time, its not 100% but it can be in the ball park. They read crazy sometimes, as said above best to hand calculate.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I ran the oem tune in my 7.3 Excursion for some time, and, with the DP Tuner installed, the overhead claimed better MPG than my hand calculations. With the stock tune, the overhead wasn't too far off my hand calculations.

23-24? Sounds impressive. Always worth going on fuelly.com to see what others are getting in reality with a similar set up. YMMV, as they say...

·
Registered
156 Posts
They all throw it off , you will have to run a few tanks to get a baseline to see how far off. I just went from one tuner who's chip reading was on average about 3mpg more than what the overhead claimed to a different chip that made the overhead read about 4 mpg higher than actual.
The temp and direction work great tho !!

·
Registered
137 Posts
my php tune 6 position has shown no negative affect on my overhead message center. The overhead shows 15.2 and that is a good overall average of my fuel economy. I get 12 when I tow the boat (rarely) and 15-16 when I am daily driving. I always kinda wondered when everyone calls them the lie-o-meter because mine is pretty close to accurate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts