Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2006 6.0 CCLB Lariat 4x4

Ever since I've gotten it it's only made about 20psi of boost at WOT, maybe 21 if the conditions are right

I have a straight pipe exhaust and while I do have whistle, it doesn't seem to be as pronounced as a 05-07 whistle should be. My VGT % on my scan gauge only hits 66% maximum and that's near idle.

At idle, it'll do that VGT sweep thing where the veins open up and you only hear engine rumble, then the veins close and it spools up again. It's fairly random but it'll do it maybe once every 2 or 3 minutes at idle.

No CEL ever for the VGT solenoid. I have pulled the turbo and cleaned the veins and unison ring. As well as the EBP sensor. None of it changed/helped anything.

Any thoughts? Or is this all normal?

·
Train Whistlin' Ex driver
55 Posts
If it sweeps at idle then the mechanical pieces and the solenoid should be working, I can tell that mine will go from 14.5-84.5 (whoever is beside me doesn't appreciate the 03's whistle at 84!) at idle, but doesn't go much above 60 while driving. How did everything look when you had it a apart, specifically the slot where the actuator moves the unison ring? I'd check for exhaust leaks, between the driver's side bellow on my y-pipe and exhaust manifold she was being robbed of about 8-12psi. 26psi is about all the boost I get, 20-22ish on the unlimited tow tune and 26-28 on the SRL.

·
Registered
42 Posts
To the OP, I don't think it's normal, I have owned my 03 since it was new and now mine gets the same boost as yours, It definatley has hurt the towing. I too "rebuilt" the turbo thinking it was stuck vanes. I cleaned it and put in a new unison ring and vanes. . My truck runs great but not towing like it used to.

Soulless how did you check for leaks. I have pressured up my whole system, turbo inlet to exhaust pipe tip, holding 25 psi shop air I went over everything, especialy the y pipes. Was was using a modified stethescope with tubing rather than rod. What is the best thing to use tp locate a leak. I was guessing that a leak big enought to lose 10+ psi boost would be easy to hear.

·
55 Posts
The overwhelming exhaust smell in the cabin was a dead giveaway! Near/around the bellows on the firewall insulation and block was completely black and built-up with soot. Same thing around a couple of the exhaust ports where the manifold mates to the block. To narrow it down I crawled underneath while it was running and used a length of rubber 3/8" fuel hose I had lying around, as I moved it around you could hear the air rushing. When I got the y-pipe off it was pretty much two pieces, boost was maxing at 15psi, now I'm good to 25 or so depending on tune. Last time I pulled the turbo out I didn't quite mate the y-pipe to the turbo inlet and I hear the rushing sound during acceleration, that v-band clamp can be a bit of pain to get just right in that tight spot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
it would be nice if my issue was that obvious. I wasnt sure now big of a leak it would take but your situatuon sorta explains that. Tks

·
55 Posts
Yeah, it's hard to miss a decent sized exhaust leak, each stop light was a race against hypoxia. I saw something on the old you-tube the other about low boost and a dirty MAP sensor port on the intake, the guy - I think it was Ford Tech Makuloco - cleaned it out with a coat hangar and voila, boost control back to normal. Here's Ron's video about:
. I also had about an inch long tear on the turbo outlet CAC boot after the Y-pipe incident, but it, oddly enough, only hurt the boost by a couple psi, it mostly just misted oil all over the passenger side intake. Bottom line, if you're not smelling a strong exhaust smell I'd check the EBP tube, MAP sensor port and hose, and the CAC boots.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. Could it be something in my PCM? I have a SCT canned tow tune on my truck, think it operates the VGT in a different manner?

I would think my VGT would operate 14 to 85% but I've never seen it closed as far as 85% and I've never seen it open as much as 14%

I have a buddy with a 05 6.0 and he has much more whistle than my truck. And his VGT doesn't seem to open up at the loads/rpm mine does. He can tow and drive off and it's whistling like crazy the whole way. Mine will whistle quieter but will get more rumbly and throaty than his

I don't think I have an exhaust leak. I hear no weird whistles like exhaust escaping when I'm driving, and I don't have any black sootiness anywhere. When I re-installed the turbo it just dropped into place and everything lined up perfectly.

My unison ring seemed alright, maybe a tad bit worn but no cracks or weirdness. My veins were all good as well, and my turbine wheel was in great shape.

·
55 Posts
I suppose the SCT could be limiting boost to 20 or so. Do you have their street tune to try? The only time my VGT cycles between 14&84 is during it's idle sweep. It will get up to about 70 if I lay into from a stop, but typical operation seems to be about 40-65.
Did you check your MAP port/hose from the intake?
Does your buddy have the stock turbine wheel and turbo? My 03 whistles like a jet on a strafing run, but the 13 vanes on the 04 and up's are kind of tame, also the engine rumble does eventually overtake the whistle.

·
55 Posts
And the CAC boots, I didn't notice mine was torn until I took it off, tear was on the back side, and the OEMs do crack and seep as they get oil soaked and old.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,209 Posts
Also, please post what your EBP, MAP, and Baro readings are at KOEO and when cold and hot idle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suppose the SCT could be limiting boost to 20 or so. Do you have their street tune to try? The only time my VGT cycles between 14&84 is during it's idle sweep. It will get up to about 70 if I lay into from a stop, but typical operation seems to be about 40-65.
Did you check your MAP port/hose from the intake?
Does your buddy have the stock turbine wheel and turbo? My 03 whistles like a jet on a strafing run, but the 13 vanes on the 04 and up's are kind of tame, also the engine rumble does eventually overtake the whistle.
I can try reverting to stock, and trying a canned street tune and report back. My map hose is in great shape, I inspected it when the intake mani came off for my oil cooler replacement. I believe my friend does have a stock 05-07 13 blade wheel.

No tears in any boots as far as I can tell. I had all the intake piping off when I was replacing my oil cooler and inspected everything and didn't see anything alarming.

·
55 Posts
With the SCT you don't need to revert to stock to change tunes - SCT only gives you so many reverts anyway - unless you're saying that you're going to try it stock, then try it with the street tune. That being said, I doubt any of the tunes would be MORE restrictive than stock. Post up your MAP/BARO etc. as Bismic recommended and I'm sure the more experienced on the forum will see something out of place. If everything is working mechanically/pneumatically than it's probably just a sensor going out.

·
55 Posts
For reference only, what I got from FORSCAN Lite (torque pro won't read my baro):
KOEO COLD HOT (185Deg)
EBP: 0psi 2.4psi 2.5psi
MAP: 14.3 14.3 14.5
BARO: 14.5 14.5 14.3

I'm not saying these are right or wrong, just saying. And my peak boost is 26-28psi WOT.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,209 Posts
Torque Pro Baro

Mode/PID: 221127
Long name: Baro1#OBS
Short name: Baro27
Min value: 0
Max value: 20
Scale: x1
Unit: psia
Equation: A*0.1
Header: C410F1

·
55 Posts
Excellent, I appreciate the info! I'll give a whirl next time I'm in the truck.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,209 Posts
Not sure why sometimes sensor data doesn't get posted. It is always important to verify sensor accuracy before starting the work (especially before spending money on parts).

In case you don't know the scangauge equations ......

Manifold Absolute Pressure
TXD: 07E0221440
RXF: 046285140640
RXD: 3010
MTH: 012203200000
NAM: PSI or BST

Barometric Pressure (PSI)
TXD: 07E0221442
RXF: 046285140642
MTH: 001D0050000
NAM: BAR

Exhaust Back Pressure
TXD: 07E0221445
RXF: 046285140645
MTH: 001D00500000
NAM: EBP

Also, VGT is a commanded value only. It does not represent the actual position of the vanes or the actuator.

·
55 Posts
As an update, no dice on Torque Pro reading Baro - there are some other equations from the OBS crowd that I may try out, but ForScan reads it so it's not a big deal. Maybe ForScan has an option to look at their default PIDs that I can see and try. And yes, sensor data and conclusions seem to be the two things that are often requested and seldom received. Oddly enough I'm starting to have similar symptoms to ones that koukimonster posted about last year: long crank after sitting all night with white smoke. Fortunately the smoke clears in a minute or so (as soon as the high idle kicks in on cold days), and all PIDs are normal - highest IPR so far is 75 - it's just taking longer to build HPO. I'll have to check the oil filter one of these mornings and see if it's dry, and video my PIDs so I can start tracking this. I guess I said she was running great one too many times! There, hijack complete.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,209 Posts
Interesting. Works on my 2006. Sorry it didn't for you.

·
55 Posts
Not a big deal, I appreciate the effort and I'll double check for typos! If I find one that works I'll post it up.

·
55 Posts
So, I double checked the PID info for 221127 - everything seemed to entered correctly but "No Reponse received" when testing and "no data" on the guage. I tried PID 221442 (found in the OBS forums):

MODE/PID: 221442
Long Name: Baro2 OBS
Short Name: Baro42
Min Value: 0
Max Value: 20
Scale: x1
Unit: psia
Equation: ((A*256)+B)*0.03625 <-- SAME AS MAP, the posted equation was: (((A*256)+B)/4.01463133)*0.145038
Header: C410F1

This gave me a good return on the PID and a value that made sense (14.5), the A*0.1 gave a reading of 0.1 and posted equation was in the 40s. So, I'm not sure if this is completely accurate (Could be a false positive) but it was consistent with the baro reading on FORSCAN and it remained consistent while driving (unlike MAP). Anyway, the hijack continues. Kouki did you ever figure out what was going on?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts