Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some pictures of under the valve cover for future reference.

Since this was the aftermarket section I was hoping somebody had a thread about an injector swap,

Or if anybody knows a site or a thread or such that has a detailed thread about and injector swap in a 6.4 that has numerous pictures of the under the valve cover and such.

Thanks
Jake

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Coming your way

Attachments

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Another

Attachments

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
One more

Attachments

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Last one I've got

Attachments

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I'll tell you that 6.4 heads aren't terrible to work on. Unfortunately it all came apart so fast I didn't have enough time to take a lot of pictures. There is a tool to take the injector wiring plug off the injectors. It is possible to do without the little tool just harder and breaking is riskier. I'll add this pic too. Sorry but I have nothing with everything still in the head. Wish I did.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll tell you that 6.4 heads aren't terrible to work on. Unfortunately it all came apart so fast I didn't have enough time to take a lot of pictures. There is a tool to take the injector wiring plug off the injectors. It is possible to do without the little tool just harder and breaking is riskier. I'll add this pic too. Sorry but I have nothing with everything still in the head. Wish I did.
Thanks for all the help!
That little deal hanging off the injector, is that all that holds it in the head?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Yup. That is also used as the removal and insert tool. No pry bars needed. Just screw that screw all the way out to remove and when you go to reassemble you set the injector just until that starts to thread then screw the bolt in and torque it to seat the injector. Also that piece does come completely off so be careful you don't grab the injector by just that piece.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
6.4 head work is expensive though. The injector fuel lines from the hpfp to the heads are one time use as are the injector fuel lines. The injector fuel lines are $25 ea which comes with the injector O-ring. I don't remember how much the hpfp to head fuel lines were. Not to mention all the other gaskets and junk from ford. Definitely not a poor mans engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear ya there haha, i'm not looking to get a 6.4, i'm trying to get a perspective of how this fuel system works. I have a big plan to common rail a 7.3 using 6.4 compents, but i'm not ready to post it on here quite yet. the project is still in the planning stages, in my opinion I have thought up a way to do it relatively ''cheap'' but like I said i'm not quite ready to put it up yet due to some of the nay-sayers.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
swamps has one. atleast theyve been working on it. wish i had the fuel rails and all in the pictures for you then. might be able to get them. maybe my buddy took pics of that part when we were doing it. Hasslers truck is running swamps common rail setup but he blew a chunk out of the block on the dyno in early december. idk if its back together yet or not.

basically for the 6.4 its:
gear driven HPFP
runs to rails in head
only trouble i see with it is that the 6.4 injectors are full electric and not at all driven by oil. im not sure how you would be able to encorporate that into the 7.3. i wonder what the price on swamps setup would be.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
swamps fabbed a front cover to mount twin 6.4 pumps to a 7.3, and found a way to make a 6.4 injector cup fit in a 7.3 head. Its been running and been dynoed, a while ago IIRC. I think they have hit 5K+ RPM, maybe even higher. Their engine control is all done in house as well. Talk to Dave if you want more details.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
swamps fabbed a front cover to mount twin 6.4 pumps to a 7.3, and found a way to make a 6.4 injector cup fit in a 7.3 head. Its been running and been dynoed, a while ago IIRC. I think they have hit 5K+ RPM, maybe even higher. Their engine control is all done in house as well. Talk to Dave if you want more details.
Who's Dave? Lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well here is the plan so far, if I am correct the line from the rail to the injector sits above the head, in some cases it goes through the head, I know that a New Holland I6 engine does, I was going to have the heads machined to fit a 6.4 injector (much like you would sleeve a cylinder) have that fitted so the new injector would fit, retro fit the HPFP to the cam (like where the HPOP would be) and yes, the hardest part would be wiring, I have not thought that all the way though yet.

I talked to hassler on FB, and he said to have a kit fully produced and marketed would run around 26K, If i'm correct, the figure I came up with is around 5K, and that is with a rough estimate on machining work, and wiring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts