Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I don't know exactly what leaky up pipes look like.... Here's a pic of mine now that I can actually see them with the turbo out.... They aren't bellowed, don't know if they've ever had new gaskets put in... But I'm on an mpg hunt to figure out why I dropped 6-8 mpg (part of it is my suspected bad injector) but I want everything gone over ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1390928912.336931.jpg
Only pic/vid I've seen of bad up pipes the dude could actually wiggle them at the connector.. Mine feel solid but there's so much rust on my beast I don't know what's what lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
616 Posts
Not in that view.. Look for black soot

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Typically (at least with mine, on OBS) they will show signs of leaking (black carbon, soot) where the up pipe and slip collar contact each other, right under the collar where it interfaces with the collector is where you will find the exhaust doughnut gasket. Engine vibration, heat cycles and boost pressure (I feel) will cause the up pipes to vibrate and wear inside the exhaust o-rings causing exhaust leaks. There are a number of fixes, repairs that can be executed to minimize leaking with this system. What I have found for a low cost effective repair if you're handy, is to pull the pipes and re-shape the diameter where they have eroded under the exhaust doughnut rings. Easily done with a pipe of solid round stock, a vise and hammer, black felt pen.

Once you have the pipes out slide off the exhaust doughnut and set aside. Place the round stock in the vise with an end sticking out to use as an anvil. Now run the black felt pen around eroded area on the pipe, slide pipe on vise and reshape using hammer, go slow with smaller tapping until you see the pipe reshaping. You should notice it reshaping as the erosion marks will disappear. Use felt marker to better understand where you are hitting because hammer strikes will remove the pen marks. Reshape until the exhaust doughnuts fit really snug, cover all with quality anti-seize paste re-install. This has worked well for me on a couple trucks now. I'd even do this with new up-pipes and doughnuts to create a snug seal.

cheers,

jrc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts