Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing a squeeling noise when my truck is ideling for the last 2 weeks. This week it has been getting worse. I finally took the belt off today to find out what is loose and the fan seams to have the most play in it. How much is too much? I have a '99 F250 with 174K on it.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
if it has much play,turns over hard or squeaks when turned over its probly going to start leaking pretty soon.poost this stuff in the tech forums in the future.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
if it has much play,turns over hard or squeaks when turned over its probly going to start leaking pretty soon.poost this stuff in the tech forums in the future.
This is the tech forum, what forum are you talking about?

To the OP, If you have not already done so.. Look at the idler pulley. That frequently is the cause of a squealing noise up front. It could be your water pump, is it leaking from the weep hole under the pump shaft? The water pump, PS pump and alt have a certain amount of play to compensate for the single serp belt and the alignment issues that come along with having more than a couple things being driven from the same belt. W/o a bit of play it would be very difficult to get the belt alignment right to avoid a noisy belt.

If the water pump develops enough play to need replacing it should also be leaking from the small weep hole. It doesn't leak 100% of the time, but most often it will be that leak that indicates a bad water pump.
Pat

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I will look into it. I also will make sure to post in the correct spot next time.:doh:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
thread was moved from new to the nation forum
I see.. You had me double checking the forums since I did not want to put my foot in my mouth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts